Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sabbath Moments - Fun and Prayer

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. Watching my grandson play football. Relaxing after a long day, I was having fun watching my grandson have fun. Made me think of a conversation I had earlier in the day with someone about Jesus probably having fun, playing games, laughing. Have you ever seen that picture of the laughing Jesus?
So I was pondering, if we have fun watching our children and grandchildren playing games and having fun, doesn't Jesus have fun watching us?
2. Watching the sky change colors on my way to work. One morning there were so many different colors! So beautiful. What a gift God gave me, painting the sky like that. And reminding me to thank him for the new day!
3. As a Benedictine oblate, I am supposed to be praying the Liturgy of the Hours every day. At least Morning & Evening prayer. We pray the Morning Prayer together at work, but I am not as faithful as I should be when it comes to Evening prayer. But this week, I am making an extra effort to pray Evening prayer. A beautiful Sabbath Moment.

6 comments :

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, thank you for sharing this this morning. I want to thank you for your prayers for me with my migraine. Much appreciated. Blessings to you dear one.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

The image of God enjoying us having fun fits in so well with Jesus telling us we must be as little children.

I haven't seen the laughing Jesus picture. If you have a link I'd like to look at it.

Colleen said...

JBR, hope your migraines stop! God bless.

Barb, I sent you an email plus I posted about it with a link. Thanks for joining me every week with this meme!

evanscove said...

I heard a seminary professor remark that the New Testament records Jesus rejoicing jubilantly. According to him, this occurs in the passage in which the disciples return to Jesus after going out to preach and minister and share about all the great things that happened. It says that Jesus rejoices, and the Greek word for "rejoice" in that verse (so says the professor) refers to leaping about ecstatically, not just being happy. Back in the 90's, a series of films about Jesus (following the Gospel of Matthew) depicted a light-hearted Jesus who liked to laugh and smile a lot. Perhaps so...

Thanks for sharing these. I like the fall too. Unfortunately the trees in our area haven't done much in the way of changing colors yet. But it'll come...

Evan

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Such great moments here!
One of my favorite scenes in The Passion of the Christ is when Jesus and his mother are being "playful" with one another at the wooden table he is making outside...just the way he laughs at her in such a loving, adoring way...reminds me of what you have said here.

Colleen said...

Evan, thanks for that info from that professor. Great to know!
We do not get leaves changing in Florida. But we do get cooler, less humid weather, sometimes even need sweaters. It is very refreshing!

Judy, I thought of the same thing! I LOVE that scene, too.