Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sabbath Moments - Mini Moments

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
1. One day this week I had a quiet evening to myself. I rested. I prayed. I read. Silence and solitude. It was like a mini-retreat!
2. I have a little alarm on my cell phone that reminds me to take a deep breath at various times throughout the day. Then I pray the name of Jesus, no matter how busy I am. These short little prayers help keep me mindful of Jesus' presence throughout the day.
What are some of your sabbath moments this week?

9 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Colleen, I really like the alarm idea. Before I quit wearing my digital watch, I had the alarm set for 3:00 p.m. so I could pray the Divine Mercy chaplet. I'm a person who hates having my concentration broken when I'm doing something, but for some reason this alarm and prayer break worked well for me.

It occurs to me that the monastic practice of breaking work times with prayer times, which is like what we're talking about here, is a way to practice detachment from the world and keep our priorities straight. It's also a necessary refreshment for mind and body. I wonder how many people would not have high blood pressure if they broke up their day with little moments of prayer.

Mary333 said...

I'm with Barb! I like the alarm idea, too. So many things vie for our attention in this world that a reminder to take a break and focus on God would help us all spiritually and physically!

evanscove said...

I know what you mean! Just praying something as simple as the Jesus Prayer, or even just the name of Jesus, can be soothing. And Barb probably has a good point about having set prayer times throughout the day. I'm sure we could all benefit from it, not just monks and nuns.

Evan

Karinann said...

Colleen,
I love those mini retreat days- we all need them from time to time. Great idea with the alarm to pray Jesus.
God bless and Hugs!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Love that idea :)
His name is so full of PEACE, isn't it?

Colleen said...

God bless you all for your comments!

Barb, I so agree. I went to a monastery once for about 4 weeks and one of the things I never forgot was that bell ringing calling everyone to prayer. Seeing everyone come from wherever they were, stop doing whatever they were doing and all head towards the chapel was a moving sight for me. When it is time to pray, it is time to pray.

Mary, glad you like the alarm idea. it really helps me.

Evan, I agree with what you said about the Jesus Prayer. It has helped me through depression! Also read my response to Barb about the set prayer times!

Karinann, yes! I agree we all need mini retreats. I used to actually schedule them. Maybe I need to do that again. Hugs!

Colleen said...

Judy, yes you are right! Just saying His name brings peace!

Debra said...

I also love your number 2! What a great idea!

Colleen said...

Debra, thank you!! Have a blessed Sunday!