Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sabbath Moments: Paying Attention

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. My hubby was gone for 3 days last weekend and so I made it an in-home mini-retreat! I have not been able to get away for my annual silent retreat so I did it at home and it really was awesome. Not the same as getting away but it was still a very prayerful and restful and silent weekend. Just what the doctor ordered. Or should I say my good God? :)
2. A couple of times this week, I took a mini-break at work and looked out through the window at some trees in the distance. I just watched them.
I watched the tops of the trees swaying in the breeze, I watched the clouds in the sky behind them and I watched some birds that flew by. Then I said a silent prayer, thanking God.
It is quite amazing to just sit and look and pay attention to God's gift of nature. Really pay attention. Even for just five minutes. I find it refreshing and comforting, like I can sense God's presence with me.

8 comments :

hip-chick said...

I am always awed by the wonder of God's handiwork in the Autumn. Just to see the beauty of the trees in color against the crisp blue of the sky...how can one doubt the glory of Him?

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Paying attention to God in nature is so relaxing. Sometimes it's like daydreaming in a way - going somewhere else completely. I think that is very healthy for body and mind.

Carol@simplecatholicliving.com said...

How wonderful you got to have an in-home retreat! I'm glad it was a restful and prayerful time for you. :)

Colleen said...

Hipchick-I am awed too.

Barb- I agree!

Carol- thank you. It was very restful! Looking forward to my next one. Whenever it happens!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Your Sabbath Moments sound sooooo
peaceful! So glad you had that time with God!

Colleen said...

Thanks Judy! It was wonderful. Thanks for joining me every week!

Joann said...

I'm with you, Colleen, in being awed and aware of God's presence in nature. Atheists must really have to do some fancy rationalizing to account for the glory of a sunset or a flower.

Colleen said...

Joann, I have always wondered that myself. thanks for your comment!