Sunday, November 14, 2010

Flames of Hope Burning

"Before all this happens, however, they will seize and persecute you, they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons, and they will have you led before kings and governors because of my name. It will lead to your giving testimony. (Luke 21:12-13)
You will be hated by all because of my name, but not a hair on your head will be destroyed. By your perseverance you will secure your lives. (Luke 21:17-19)
It seems like whenever there is a disaster or tragedy of some kind, people ask why God would do such a thing or if he even exists.
For many years now I have not thought like that. I no longer ask "Where is God?"
Instead I ask "Where can I see God bringing good out of bad? Comfort out of pain? Love out of hatred?"
I have had my share of suffering. I have had my share of fear and of thinking that God was absent. But I have also been comforted. I have been given strength to withstand trials. I have known love.
And hope. Boy, have I known hope.
And because I have known these things, because I have experienced the love of God deep in the depths of my heart and soul, I pray to keep that hope alive and I choose to find God in all things.
Not through any effort of my own, but through grace. It is all grace.
I do not pretend to know why suffering happens. But what I do know, because I have experienced it, is that God loves us with a love we can not fathom. That God loved us into being and God knows us, when we sit and when we stand, how we were wondrously made. And God wants us with Him for all eternity.
So while the end times can really sound scary, I choose to keep my eye on the prize and give my testimony and persevere through the hard times.
I choose to believe in hope.
Lord, please keep the flames of hope burning in my heart. Amen.

12 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for this post. I needed it!

God bless.

pip said...

Hope is essential to faith. Hope is beautiful :)

"...when it is deprived of hope and love, faith does not fully unite the believer to Christ and does not make him a living member of his Body." (Catechism, 1815)

Colleen said...

Victor, you are welcome! Glad it was helpful. God bless you, too.

Pip, I like that quote. Thanks. And I agree - hope is beautiful. God bless!

Jamey said...

Thanks Colleen for this encouraging post!

Colleen said...

Jamey, thank you!

Jean Wise said...

Amen!! well said.

Colleen said...

Jean, thank you so much! God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Life is too brutal without hope. This post is a great reminder of our final end.

evanscove said...

Hope is indeed so important. Like you, I don't have an explanation for many of my own problems, not to mention the sufferings of others, but I keep in mind that God entered into our suffering and allowed Himself to be killed for our sakes. The Cross gives us reason to hope when all else has failed us.

Evan

Colleen said...

Barb, I agree, we need hope and I have found that it is hope that has helped me in my healing from my childhood as well.

Evan, Amen.

Joann said...

"Hope doesn't disappoint"Romans 5:5
Even though thoughts of "end times" can be scary, scarier still would be my "end time" without Jesus Christ. Even the fires of Purgatory offer the sure hope of heaven.

Colleen said...

Joann, so true that Hope does not disappoint. Amen!! Thank you!