Friday, December 31, 2010

A Downpour of Love

I was reading a new book I got for Christmas from one of my sons - The Long Yearning's End, Stories of Sacrament and Incarnation, by Fr. Patrick Hannon.
The word Incarnation caught my eye. It is a subject that I love writing about. It has also been on my mind a lot lately (being that it is, after all, Christmas.)
Here is a beautiful quote from Fr. Hannon's Prologue: 
A friend once observed that the great tragedy of our time is that for too many people God has become painfully distant. "Here we are," he once told me, "walking in a downpour of Incarnation, and nobody's getting wet!"
Amen!
Emmanuel. God-with-us. 
How many times do we miss seeing God? How many times do we forget that God is with us always?
Do we remember that God cries with us, suffers with us, laughs with us, rejoices with us?
Do we remember that God knows our hearts, our deepest desires, our hopes, our fears?
Do we remember that God comes to us in so many ways, in so many people?
God showers us with graces upon graces. Do we fail to notice? 
Do we forget to get wet?
Lord, help me to remember you are always with me. Help me to recognize you in others, in words, in events. Oh, dear Lord, please soak me with your loving Presence.
Amen.

16 comments :

deodate said...

Sounds like a wonderful book Colleen, I will look into it. I love the quote you selected. You are so right, we continue to keep God at a distance when he resides within our hearts. Great post.
Andie

Karinann said...

Colleen,
Great quote. Maybe it's time we all threw away our umbrellas!
God bless and Happy New Year.

Tracy said...

Amen, this is beautiful!!

Anne said...

I love Fr. Patrick Hannon-his writing style is so casual and fun as well as uplifting. Blessed New Year to you Colleen!

Just Be Real said...

Great quote! Dear one, have a blessed New Year! Thank you for all your support this past year. Hugs.

Jean Wise said...

wow I love that quote. Thanks for sharing it as I will ponder it all day and let it take root in my heart

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Thank you for helping me ring in the New Year with this wonderful post!
Happy New Year to you Colleen!

Colleen said...

Andie, I love his writing and this book is excellent.

Karinann,I love that about throwing away our umbrellas! Amen!

Tracy, thank you!

JBR, thank you!

Jean, I know what you mean. I had to do the same thing! I am still pondering!

Judy, you are welcome! Happy New Year!

Colleen said...

Anne, I love his writing too! Happy new year!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Beautifully put. I agree with Karinann - throw away the umbrella and I'll add, pay attention to the rain!

Your Sabbath Moments meme helps me do that.

Colleen said...

Barb, amen! Pay attention to the rain! Thanks Barb.

RAnn said...

Thanks for sharing

Joann said...

Lovely thoughts and insight, Colleen.

I had a friend whose husband told her that she was so skinny she had to run around in the shower to get wet.
The "tragedy of our Time" is spiritually skinny Christians.

Colleen said...

RAnn, thanks so much!

Joann, I like the way you put that! Thanks!

evanscove said...

Thank you for this timely reminder. I've been down in the dumps today because of the issues I've been struggling with, and it's easy for me to become frustrated and yield to despair. But God is with me, even when it feels like He isn't. I need to run around in that "shower of incarnation"!

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, yes! God is with you. I know that with all my heart. You need to run in the rain! Prayers for you.