Sunday, December 26, 2010

We Can Count on God


Stay there until I tell you. (Matthew 2:13b)
How scary that had to be. To be sent to a foreign land, a strange place, far from home and family.
What trust Joseph and Mary had, to believe in the words of an angel in a dream.
Would I have listened to those words? How many messages from God have I ignored or dismissed as just my imagination?
God usually speaks to us in ways we recognize. The more time we spend with the Lord in prayer, the more time we spend with the Lord in silence, listening, the easier it is to recognize His voice, the way He speaks to us. 
But that does not mean that God can not speak to us in a different way. That does not mean that God's guidance cannot come from a different direction. God is God. We cannot put limitations on how He can speak to us.
So I guess we need to be alert. We need to be listening all the time. Because we just never know where God's guidance will come from.
We just never know.
What we do know, however, is that God is the God of second chances. And if we miss the message the first time, God will invite us again.
We can always count on that.
We can always count on God.
Emmanuel.
Dear Lord, I may not always hear you or understand you. Or I may be too afraid to do as you ask. Help me to hear you better. Help me to trust you better. Thank you, Lord, for never giving up on me. I love you. Amen.

9 comments :

deodate said...

I love your prayer Colleen. You are so right, sometimes He speaks to us through those we may struggle with, in difficult situations, etc. And, I think that it does take quiet time to reflect back and recognize that it was His voice. Thanks for this post.
Andie

therese rita said...

"Stay there."
How many times have I heard that in prayer?? It seems like that's one of God's main messages to me, an extroverted/let me fix it even if its not broke kind of person. God really wants me to stay still & wait on Him most of the time so this is a great reflection for me ;-)

Colleen said...

Andie, you are welcome! Merry Christmas!

therese rita - so glad to know this touched you. Merry Christmas!

Caroline said...

Great post and beautiful site. It's always touching to hear people's thoughts and experience in prayer.

So hard to stay still! But so necessary.

Blessings and

+PAX

Colleen said...

Caroline, thanks so much. I appreciate your visit and your comment! Yes, it is hard to stay still! God bless!

evanscove said...

I try to imagine what Mary and Joseph were thinking and feeling as all these events were happening--angelic visitations, prophetic dreams, a miraculous birth. Now a message from God to leave their homeland and go to a foreign place (and I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them had never left Palestine before!). How well would I have done in those circumstances? Would I have been receptive enough to the Lord's messages? Would I have cracked under the pressure?

Thanks for this reflection! :-)

I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas.

Evan

Tracy said...

Colleen, this prayer is just perfect and really speaks to me, I'm so glad you shared it with us!

Colleen said...

Evan, thank you for adding your musings! I wonder too if I would been as receptive and trusting.

Tracy, thank you! God bless!

Jean Wise said...

I am late with this comment as we have been traveling but had to write something re this beautiful post. sure spoke to my heart. I often have thought and rejoiced that we have a God who patiently will tell us more than once what He want and where he wants us. He is more powerful than our circumstances. Thanks - I needed to read this tonight.