Sunday, January 9, 2011

We Are God's Beloved Children

"This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." (Matthew 3:17)
Are these the words we hear when we are baptized? Are we also able to hear that God is pleased with us? Does our new identity in Christ help us to listen and hear what God wants to say to us?
I was on retreat once. A five day silent retreat. I was in the chapel one day, praying silently and I heard within my heart these words: "You are my beloved daughter in whom I am well pleased."
I thought that I had imagined it and continued praying. I then noticed that the Bible was open. I went to see what scripture it was open to and there was this reading.
I am surely not perfect. Far from it. But God is not saying that he loves us when we are perfect. He says he is well pleased with us just the way we are. We are His children. His creation. He is our Father.
That is enough to know. In fact, it is everything.
Father in heaven, thank you for your love. Thank you for creating me, your daughter. May I always be mindful of your great love, made known to me through Your Son, Jesus.
Amen.
adapted from a post in old blog Simple Reflections

9 comments :

Jean Wise said...

powerful example, Colleen. I too have heard that special whisper yet deal with the unbelief if it is really true. The news is more than my heart can hold!

Tracy said...

Amen!! This really sums it all up.. oh how he loves us!!!

Colleen said...

Jean, I deal with that unbelief too. My spiritual director helped me with that as he believed it!

Tracy, Yes! We are blessed!

RAnn said...

Amen

Kathleen@so much to say said...

A silent retreat is on my list of things I long to do. Someday. For now, I have to figure out how to hear God's voice amid the shrieks, whines, and grunts of little ones.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

This is a beautiful reminder of how much God loves us - no matter what. :)

Colleen said...

RAnn, thank you for your comment!

Kathleen, I remember those days. Looking back, I heard God more than I realized at the time. Hugs.

Carol, thank you!

God bless all for your visits and comments!

Joann said...

Why wouldn't a Father speak to a daughter who sets aside time to listen? I'm like you. Colleen. I need a bit of confirmation. The way God confirmed His message to you made it a double gift and a life-long memory, no doubt.

Colleen said...

Joann, thank you. Yes, a lifetime memory for sure.