Sunday, January 16, 2011

I Want to Know My Lord

"I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.'
Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God." John 1:33-34
I did not know him.
I wonder how often I have missed recognizing God's presence and action in my life. I know... I trust... that the Lord is with me always, but I do not know Him always.
My focus is often too much on me and my worries and my plans and my needs. Jesus can be standing right in front of me, but if I am thinking too much of myself, then I am not seeing Jesus.
Jesus, help me to know you. Help me to recognize you in all things. Help me to put you first in my life. And please give me the words so that I may testify that you are God. Thank you, Lord.

13 comments :

Karinann said...

Colleen,
I had a similar thought during my hour of adoration a little while ago- a little too much me and not enough Jesus. With too much me there isn't room for Him. I will join you in your prayer.
Hugs and God bless!

deodate said...

I share your prayer Colleen. I, too, want to recognize more of his presence in my life because I know he is there, beside me always and in those with whom I interact with each day.
Andie

Colleen said...

Karinann, thanks for joining me in my prayer. I like how you put it - with too much me there isn't room for Him. Amen. Hugs!

Andie, thank you for joining us! God bless!

therese rita said...

colleen, Our pastor preached on the same thing this morning...maybe he read your blog :-)
He used the example of a Russian cosmonaut who held a press conference years ago after he'd returned to earth & said he "didn't see God in space" and yet the Psalmist could see God in the firmament even from earth! He was making the point that unless our hearts are open, our eyes are shut.

Colleen said...

therese rita, oh that is beautiful! thanks so much for sharing that with us!

Eileen @ Ordained Praise said...

I always wonder if John the Baptist and Jesus got together for playdates since they were cousins. John the Baptist says "I did not know him." This makes me ponder a bit. I wonder if he was surprised to see the Holy Spirit hover over Jesus? It doesn't really sound like he was surprised. Just a thought.

Jean Wise said...

Oh Colleen spoken from the heart and mirrors mine completely. Open our eyes Lord to see you and our hearts to know you!

Colleen said...

Jean, Amen! beautiful. Thanks.

Colleen said...

Eileen, I ponder the same thing sometimes. Was he having last minute doubts? Did he have a different image of who the Messiah would be? Thank you!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

It may be that St. John hadn't seen Jesus for years - after all, Elizabeth and Zachary lived about 3 days from Nazareth up in the hills. But tradition says he lived in the desert and prayed a lot, which is how God told him how to recognize Jesus. Plus, I bet he recognized Jesus in his soul.

I wish I could recognize God in others all the time - or at least keep in mind that every person I meet is loved by God. But I forget, preoccupied with my own stuff. I must be missing a lot.

Colleen said...

Me too, Barb, me too!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Amen!

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you!