Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Friend Francis

Today is St. Francis de Sales Feast Day. I am late in writing this because I wasn't sure of what I wanted to say.
I posted an article in my column at Ft. Myers Catholicism Examiner. It was mostly biographical however. It was more from my head than from my heart.
Just the facts, ma'am.
Well, I need to write more than facts because I have grown to really like St. Francis de Sales. I have felt drawn to him for a good 6 months now. When Karinann at Daughter of the King, picked out St. Francis to be my patron saint for this liturgical year, I was just thrilled!
Must be a reason for all of this, don't you think? I do.
Well, he is patron saint of writers and spiritual directors. I am both of those, praise God.
He writes so well and really gets to the heart of the matter without getting too high falutin', if you know what I mean.
This is one of my favorite prayers from him:

Lord, I am Yours, and I must belong to no one but You.
My soul is Yours, and must live only by You.
My will is Yours, and must love only for You.
I must love You as my first cause, since I am from You.
I must love You as my end and rest, since I am for You.
I must love You more than my own being, since my being subsists by You.
I must love You more than myself, since I am all Yours and all in You. Amen.
from "Treatise on the Love of God"

I wrote a reflection on Sunday called - Who Do We Belong To?  And the main point was that we belong to Jesus. As St. Francis wrote, he is our "end and our rest."
So looking at that prayer he wrote, I would guess St. Francis must have helped me with my reflection, don't you think?
I really have nothing eloquent to say. All I can say, I have said, except for this:
I love you, St. Francis. Thanks for being there and for helping me in my writing and spiritual direction.
Thank you for helping me to put my thoughts and feelings into words. And for being my friend. Amen.

8 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I didn't know until I read Karinnan's Blog that he is the Patron Saint of writers.

Great post Colleen.

God bless.

Colleen said...

Victor, thank you! God bless!

Karinann said...

Colleen,
It seems that you and St Francis collaborated beautifully to write this post as well as Sunday's reflection. I love the prayer.
Thanks for the link.
Hugs & God bless!

Colleen said...

Karinann, thank you! Glad you like the prayer! Hugs back!

evanscove said...

It sounds like I need to invoke this saint's intercession for my writing endeavors!

I don't know much about Francis de Sales, but it sounds like he was an exceptional Christian. That was a beautiful prayer. Thanks for this post.

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, you are welcome. Isn't it great learning about saints we don't know? God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

His "Introduction to the Devout Life" is the epitome of spiritual direction. I especially like St. Francis de Sales because he had to work really hard at controlling his temper. He appeared mild and cheerful and no one knew of his struggles to control his feelings. Just shows you what a person can do if we are determined to accept God's grace.

If I were stuck on a desert island I'd want a Bible and the "Introduction."

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you for these comments. I used to have a temper so I can really relate to him that way too. I have the "Introduction" but have not read it yet. Many people have told me the same thing about it. I better get with it!!