Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Coming Home

It is a new year! It is time again to share those moments when we notice God's presence, those moments when we take time to just BE with God. Sabbath moments are those times when we find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share in a comment!
1. I wrote about this moment in my January edition of Prayerful Morsels. Here is an excerpt of the Sabbath moment I experienced this week when my husband came home from the hospital:
Finally Rich came home. He was weak and tired and I fussed over him, which he just hates. At one point, he fell asleep in his favorite chair. And I just watched him sleep, trying not to cry, trying to memorize that moment. 
Have you ever had one of those God moments? Just a brief moment, maybe a nano-second, when time seems to stand still and you just know you are experiencing something holy, something beyond words or even feelings.
I felt so fragile and he looked so fragile and I was thinking that I couldn't love him any more than I did at that moment.
And it was then that I knew - in that moment, God was with us, loving us, holding us together. Carrying us through the rough patches of life.
Love. Loss. Life.
Holy ground.
2. I was driving home from work, the beginnings of the article I wrote about Rich coming home from the hospital were on my mind. Tears were flowing down my cheeks and I rounded a corner and there was one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. The whole sky was filled with orange clouds. When I drove into my community, people were standing in the road, looking at it and "oohing and ahhhing."
Thank you, Jesus.

8 comments :

hip-chick said...

I love when that happens.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

What a beautiful expression of love...for your beloved Rich...and for your Father in heaven.

evanscove said...

You had some extremely poignant sabbath moments this week, especially with your husband. I pray he's doing better. And your post shows what marriage and true love are really about: being there for each other through thick and thin and appreciating the gift you have by having each other!

Evan

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Colleen, I so happy your husband is doing better. I hope the docs discovered what's going on.

I confess to jealousy over your beautiful sunsets. We have lovely ones in the Ozarks sometimes and they are to be treasured.

Colleen said...

hip chick - amen!

Judy, thank you!

Evan, thank you for your prayers and your comment on marriage. I have thought a lot about that too this week.

Barb, still do not know cause. Keep praying!
We are known for our beautiful sunsets here and right now they happen when I am on my home from work so I get to see them everyday! God bless!

therese rita said...

Colleen, One thing I like so much about your blog is that it makes me realize that I'm not the only one who has little 'moments' during the day!
One of my moments last wk concerned the Pope's message to the Vatican clergy on Dec 20. He always inspires me but I was particularly touched as he repeatedly quoted the Scripture "Lord, stir up your power & come!" His fatherly concern for the state of our Church is so evident and even, I might say, ferocious...
http://www.zealforyourhouseconsumesme.com/2011/01/benedicts-new-years-exhortation.html

Colleen said...

therese rita - I was very moved by the Pope's message as well. God bless!

therese rita said...

This week I learned that one of my brother priests who posts on my blog regularly has a possible recurrence of cancer. Situations like this compel me to put my money where my mouth is & grow in Trust in God. This tumor is growing behind his eye & his surgery for excision is scheduled for next Tues morning...if anyone can remember him in prayer, we'd be obliged!