Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Rain, Rest & Nudges

Sabbath moments are the moments we rest in God, when we take time to just Be with God rather than Do. Sabbath moments are also those times when we live in the moment and find the holy in the ordinary. I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below. If you don't have a blog, please share about it in a comment!
Some of my sabbath moments this week:
1. Watching the rain - I love watching the rain, as many of you probably know by now. So peaceful, so pretty, so soothing. Even powerful thunderstorms, while frightening at times, are also awe-inspiring.
We had such a storm the other evening, pretty infrequent in Florida during the winter season. We were under tornado watch and the wind was quite fierce. The rain was swirling around in the wind, rather than just falling straight down. It was eerie and pretty at the same time.
God sure paints pretty pictures.
2. I had the sudden urge to call someone the other day. Turns out she had been crying, feeling very sad and needing someone to talk to. We both knew it must have been the Holy Spirit nudging me to call. Have you had any nudges lately?
3. Sitting with my husband, television on, laptop in my lap, being totally lazy on a Friday afternoon, writing and watching and laughing with my best friend.
Thank you, Lord, for these Sabbath moments!

9 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Your moments sound so peaceful. I can't remember any nudges recently except that for some reason both my major posts this week were pro-life. Images jumped into my head that prompted me to write them during this March for Life week. I didn't go seeking out the topics; they just came into my head. Must be the Holy Spirit helping me do my part.

evanscove said...

I haven't stopped to watch the rain in quite a while. As a child, I tended to like rainy days--not sure why, but I found something enjoyable about watching the darkened sky and the drops pattering against the window pains. You'd probably enjoy--and be able to connect with--Enya's song "It's in the Rain." (If you haven't heard it, you can probably find a video clip with it on YouTube.)

The Holy Spirit's nudges are very timely! I'm sure your friend needed the encouragement. Perhaps I'm not sensitive enough to such nudges...

Glad to hear you're having an enjoyable Saturday. May your Sunday be blessed as well!

Colleen said...

Barb, seems to me like you got lots of nudges!! Loved your post.

Evan, thanks for that song! I do not always "get" the nudges either! Hope your Sunday is blessed too!

Mary333 said...

Hi Colleen! I'm glad your husband is feeling better. I hope you are feeling well, too :)

I'm sorry I haven't been participating in the Sabbath Moments meme. I can't seem to motivate myself to get back to blogging for some reason. I'm not quite sure why. Hopefully this will change!

I miss you, too :)

P.S (Great picture of your grandson! What a pair of eyes he has!)

Colleen said...

Mary, thank you! He is adorable isnt he? I am not prejudiced or anything. lol
I miss you but I understand about your need for a break. So don't worry. Just visit when you can!!!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

I just love this whole list!!!!!Everything about it!!!

Colleen said...

Judy, thank you so much! And thanks for joining me every week! God bless!

Kathleen@so mcuh to say said...

The Early Show had this story recently about the recent ESP study. Did you hear about this? A researcher has concluded that ESP actually is possible.

Both scientists and faithful people tend to view this idea of telepathy, ESP etc. with discomfort. But whenver I see stories like your #2, I think it *does* exist, another manifestation of the Spirit in daily life. How else do you explain it? Times like when my husband and I have identical, or very similar, thoughts at the same moment? I think we're even more fearfully and wonderfully created than we know sometimes.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I have not heard about the ESP study. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I do not think we know very much about the brain and how it works. I have a feeling scientists have only touched the surface.
And I agree, it could be another manifestation of the Spirit. We just cannot put limits on what God does or wants to do. Interesting to think about though. Thanks for the input!