Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Jesus in Our Midst

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
1. I saw an eagle! My husband and I were driving through our park. As we rounded one of the little lakes here, we saw an eagle sitting on the edge of the lake. I was flabbergasted!
I stopped the car, and got my phone camera ready and opened the door to get out. I was trying to move slowly and quietly, but it flew away! Darn!
I wished I had snapped a picture from inside the car, but watching it fly majestically away was just awesome! A Sabbath moment to be sure!
2. Spiritual direction is not only a gift for the directee, but the director as well. It is a sabbath moment itself as my directee tells me about the times he/she has seen God that month or shares his/her prayer life.
But also, I know God is present with us right there in our sessions. Faith tells us that. And Jesus tells us that - "for where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20)
And sometimes, we experience God's presence in some of our sessions in a very strong way. A graced moment. A moment when I just know, I am supposed to be doing what I am doing. God has called me here. Thank you, Lord.
Photobucket

8 comments :

mary333 said...

You see all the good birds, Colleen! I love eagles! We rarely see them around here, unfortunately. It's been so chilly (love it!) that I already saw a flock of geese flying south. Enjoy them but please don't forget to send them back up here after winter - Michaela and I like to feed them :)

It must be wonderful to be a spiritual director and I can see how it would be a blessing to both the director and the directee :)

God bless!

Colleen said...

Mary, I always love watching the birds come back for the winter. But don't worry, I will send them back! :)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

There is something just beautiful about the way a raptor soars. The unseen air currents and the power of its wings to take advantage of those currents looks so effortless and graceful. These ways God shows us He is with us are indeed precious. I enjoyed your Sabbath Moments.

Colleen said...

Barb, I so agree that God shows us His presence in precious ways. God is good! Thanks so much!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Ohh, eagles are such majestic and beautiful birds; I've never had the privilege of seeing one in person, though!

Colleen said...

Carol, they are truly majestic! Beautiful to watch. God bless.

Kathleen Basi said...

The priest this morning talked about how we say yes to God in the little, unseen things, and we don't always know when we've touched someone. This reminded me of that sentiment.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, thank you so much for your comment. I love what your priest said.