Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Rain and More Rain

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
1. Saw two rainbows in one day. In the morning, the sky ahead of me was black with storm clouds and a bright rainbow seemed to arch right over the road I was driving on. The colors were so bright.
Later, on my way home, there was a rainbow behind me! Rainbows are always a reminder of God's presence in my life.
2. So I guess it is obvious that we had a lot of rain this week - very unusual rain patterns for Florida. The swales on our church property were so full of water, they looked like little ponds. Many herons and egrets came to wade in the water. I kept waiting to see ducks but no such luck! It was great driving into the parking lot and seeing so much nature there.



3. Took some time in the middle of a long work day and went to the chapel to pray. Praying before the Blessed Sacrament brought me peace. My favorite sabbath moment!

Photobucket

9 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

I didn't realise you live in Florida, Colleen. I have a few beautiful blogging friends from there. I've been reading about your very hot summer. Maybe the rain has been a relief? God bless!

Jean Wise said...

So many rainbows - wow. what a blessing. In Ohio we have had a week of dreary rain too - not the excitement of stormy weather with its rainbows afterwards. Yet I know the sun is shining above that thick layer of clouds! Sure enjoy your blog, Colleen.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Wow. You were surely treated to some BEAUTIFUL moments this week! Those birds are sooo graceful and lovely and I can't look at a rainbow without smiling! Thanks for sharing and for hosting Sabbath Moments!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Hey, Colleen, I'm jealous! Two rainbows in one day! We're so dry here and we so much need rain.

I think of God every time I see a rainbow, too.

Colleen said...

Sue, yes, I am enjoying the rain actually. God bless you too!

Jean, I remember your kind of rain when I used to live in New England. Hope you see the sun soon! God bless!

Judy, you are so right. Some very beautiful moments. I never get tired to seeing a rainbow! Thanks for joining me every week! God bless!

Barb, I pray you get rain soon! I will try to send some of ours!!

evanscove said...

Rainbows are not only beautiful but are reminders of God's promise to Noah in the book of Genesis. Seeing them can always be a sabbath moment!

Are those birds still visiting your church? Once in a great while they'll show up around our neighborhood, and we'll always stop to watch them. Not long ago, a couple of them decided to hang out in front our house. They were so beautiful...

Praying in front of the sacrament is probably the best little sabbath of all. It would probably do me a lot of good to do it more often.

Have a blessed weekend!

Evan

mary333 said...

You've had some great Sabbath moments this week - I love rainbows! I love the picture, too.

We've had a lot of rain lately and my in-laws keep asking us to PLEASE send it down to Texas. I wish I could.

I'm starting back up going to Adoration this week, hopefully. I miss it.

God bless you, Colleen :)

Colleen said...

Evan, I often think of God's promise when I see a rainbow.
As long as have standing water, we will have those birds! Yay!

Colleen said...

Mary, I miss it too when I dont go to Adoration. Glad you are starting up again. Thanks for joining me here! God bless!