Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Retreat Week

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
I have plenty of Sabbath moments to tell you about, but it would be too much in one post! My whole week was one BIG Sabbath moment as I went on a private retreat for 5 days! 5 grace-filled days! I kept a journal and hope to publish an eBook soon.
I went off to a retreat center that was situated on a river. I have been there a few times before and even though I try other places, I always come back to this one.
I spent the week in silence. I just loved it. I spoke only when I had to and when manners dictated it, but otherwise the only one I spoke to was God.
I visited the Blessed Sacrament a few times each day, as it was located right down the hall from my room. What a precious gift!
I sat by the river and watched the sun set and watched the ducks and other birds.
I read. I prayed. I wrote.
Mostly I listened. I listened to God as He guided me through the week, helping me to see what I needed to know and what I needed to change. And reminding me of how much He loved me.
What a joy and a blessing, to spend these days just hanging out with the Lord. No interruptions. No noise. No work. No expectations.
Just to “be.”

Photobucket

14 comments :

mary333 said...

Sounds like a peaceful and grace-filled week, Colleen, and I'm glad you had the opportunity to spend this time alone with God. I'm looking forward to reading your eBook when it is finished!

I will not be envious.
I will not be envious.
I will not be envious.
" " " " "
;)

God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Hanging out with the Lord sounds like the best use of time we could ever have. I'm with Mary. I will not be envious.

evanscove said...

I too must strive not to be envious. Apparently your week of retreat was one great big sabbath moment. But I'm glad to hear you were blessed with that time.

Evan

Colleen said...

to ALL of you - I pray you all can go on retreat someday!
:)

Mary, it was definitely peaceful. Thank you!

Barb, amen (to the hanging out with God).

Evan, I kept thanking God all week for this time He gave me.

Jean Wise said...

Your week sounds delightful. I try to take a longer silent retreat at least once a year and am really off schedule. BUT did find a new fairly local retreat center this week and went there one day. They do longer retreats and now am excited to plan one there. Retreats make all the difference don't they?

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

WOW. I am so glad you had an entire Sabbath Week! Thanks for sharing...it brought joy to my heart as I have not been able to go on retreat for several years now and have greatly missed it. I look forward to your e-book!

Colleen said...

Jean, Yes, they do! And how blessed to find one close to your home! I need to do this once a year but have missed a couple of years. I waited too long!

Colleen said...

Judy, thank you so much. And I hope and pray that you get to go on a retreat someday soon! In the meantime, I plan on writing more at home retreats so hopefully they will help!

Kathryn said...

Colleen, I would like to join Sabbath Moments some time! I have seen this on Mary's blog but haven't participated yet. Just wanted to let you know that I just read your book, and it really meant a lot to me. Thank you for writing it and sharing your heart. I started it today and finished it today!

Colleen said...

Kathryn, you can join Sabbath Moments any time! Don't feel pressured to participate every week. Just when you want to.
Thank you for reading my book. And thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it very much. God bless!

RAnn said...

Those times away are so precious. I'm happy for you.

Colleen said...

RAnn, thank you! It was badly needed! God bless!

Carol@siimple_catholic said...

Oh, I DO have a "holy" jealousy toward you right now for being about to go on a silent retreat for 5 whole days! (Just kidding!)

What a blessing for you to have that time with the Lord. :)

Colleen said...

Carol, yes it is quite a blessing! (I like how you put that - "holy" jealousy!) God bless!