Sunday, October 2, 2011

God Never Gives Up On Us

"The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; by the Lord has this been done, and it is wonderful in our eyes." (Matthew 21:42)
I often talk about our God of Second Chances. I love how God never gives up on me. Even when I turn a deaf ear. Even when I turn away from those he sends me. Even when I say, "No, Lord."
Sometimes I forget that I do not bear fruit alone. That I can only say yes and then let God work through me. 
Sometimes I forget that God loves me so much that he never gives up on me. 
I wonder how many times I have turned away from Jesus when He came to me. How many times have I ignored the prophets God has sent to me? How many times have I refused to do His will?
The Good News is that the stone I have rejected is still the cornerstone of my life. The Good News is that God loves me so much that He comes to me over and over and offers me His compassion and mercy. He offers me His Son.
Jesus, you are the Lord of my life. Help me to always trust in your love and your forgiveness. Please use me to bear fruit in this world and to bring others to your vineyard. Help me to put you first in my life, everyday. Thank you for never giving up on me. Amen.
Photobucket

10 comments :

Karinann said...

"I do not bear fruit alone." How easy it is to forget that. Thank God our God is one of second, third and many chances. We need to allow Him to be the Divine Gardener of our souls.
Thanks for this beautiful reflection and prayer, Colleen.
Hugs & Blessings!

Colleen said...

Karinann, thank you so much. Yes, I often forget that I cannot bear fruit myself. That I am not in control! I love that title - Divine Gardener. Hugs and God bless!

Michael said...

I dont know how God continues to give us unlimited chances. I know if I had a friend like me, I wouldnt give me that many chances. We are truly blessed.

God Bless you.

evanscove said...

I think we all need to be reminded of these things from time to time. Heaven knows I certainly do. In fact, I've really struggled lately with doubts and fears about my own standing before God. I find myself praying that God will not turn His back on me as He did to Esau or to King Saul, that I have not 'blown it' spiritually.

Then I stop to consider what I would say to others who struggle with such worries. I would probably remind them of a beautiful quote of St. Paul of the Cross (which is on the stained glass windows in our confession room at my parish): "The fires of God's love consume our sins like a wad of cotton in a forest fire."

Thanks for this reflection!

Evan

Jean Wise said...

Written from your heart and spoke deeply to my heart. Thanks for a well needed reminder!

Colleen said...

Michael, I am not sure I would give me so many chances either! God bless!

Evan, the good news is that God never turns his back on us. We are the ones who turn. And when we do, He is still waiting for us to turn back again, still loving and forgiving.
Trust - it is hard but God is trustworthy.

Jean, you are so welcome. Glad my post touched you. God bless.

Colleen @ ID said...

Your prayer is my prayer too.

Colleen said...

Colleen, thank you!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Such consoling words, Colleen! Thank you for this beautiful reflection.

Colleen said...

Carol, thanks so much. God bless!