Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Pilgrims, Retreats & Rosaries

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
1. Had some alone time this weekend. Spent Friday praying and writing and praying some more. Re-reading a book by Joyce Rupp about her pilgrimage to the Camino de Santiago in Spain, called Walk in a Relaxed Manner. I am enjoying it even more the second time. I would like to see the movie Martin Sheen made about the pilgrimage - called The Way.
2. Taking some time everyday to read and reflect on the Retreat in the Real World - the book version of the online retreat.This is a case where I do better with the book rather than the free online version. I can carry this book around with me and reflect on passages. It is quiet different from other at-home retreat books but I enjoy it. Considering I am working on some retreat books and materials of my own that I will publish in some form, it is interesting to see others' viewpoints and ways of doing things.
3. A rainbow. Out of nowhere. It was not raining. Yet. I love God's surprises, don't you?
4. Praying the rosary throughout the weekend, too, for a special intention. Would you mind taking a sabbath moment to say a little prayer for my intention? Thank you and God bless!
Photobucket

9 comments :

Barb, sfo said...

Suddenly, there's so much attention to Santiago. I wonder why that is! (Not that it's a bad thing--I'm just curious.) I'll look into the book you recommend. As a teen, I was very touched by a novel called "Mount Joy" by Daisy Newman, about a college student who makes that pilgrimage. I still own a copy--should read it again. With prayers for your intention!

Daily Grace said...

I saw the movie "The Way" the first Friday it came out in my area. It was wonderful. Mike & I are talking about taking the pilgrimage, though it won't be this year due to our work schedule. I think I will look into the book you have recommended, thanks.

Also, I will hold your prayer intention close to my heart this weekend.

Thank you for your prayers and may our Good Lord continue to bless you Colleen.

Colleen said...

Barb, I think it must be the movie that is drawing attention to Santiago. That book you have sounds good, too. There is another one I read - Fumbling, by Kerry Egan. That is also very good. Thanks for the prayers!

Daily Grace, thank you for the prayers. I am looking forward to the movie. That would be awesome if you and your husband make this pilgrimage. God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Thanks to books and movies we can get an idea of what it's like to be on pilgrimage. I would love to do the Santiago one, but unfortunately I'm too old and decrepit so I hope somebody else who makes the pilgrimage some day will carry me in their heart.

Did you know that the Cathedral Santiago de Compostella has one of largest censors in the world? It is awesome to see it in this YouTube: http://youtu.be/kNK0Thgf3a8. Four adults are needed to swing it. One crack in the head from that and a person's troubles will be over forever. I love seeing it because it so well suits the majesty of God.

I admire your constant work of developing retreats and spiritual materials. My preference is always hard copy so I can mark it up, even though I spend a lot of time on the internet.

Your intentions are in my prayers. I'm jealous, by the way, of all the rainbows you see in Florida. :)

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you so much for your comment. I would love to do that pilgrimage too but I can't either with my RA.
Thank you for that link! I had not known they had that huge thurible! Awesome! My husband will love seeing it.
Yes, we do get a lot of rainbows during our rainy season (summer). I wish I could send you some!
I understand why you prefer the hard copy. That is why I email my online retreat to people who sign up. So they can print it out if they wish and hold into it for a rainy day or write on it or whatever.
God bless!

Sue Elvis said...

Hi Colleen,

Yes! Everyone seems to be talking about the Santiago pilgrimage. A few years ago one of my friends wrote about his Spanish pilgrimage for our homeschooling newsletter. I must hunt the article out and use it again on our Australian Catholic Families blog. It's such a current topic.

I will pray!

God bless.

Colleen said...

Sue, thank you so much! God bless!

Barb, sfo said...

I started reading the Joyce Rupp book, and felt compelled to put it aside for a bit and reread that novel first! Then I'll finish the Rupp book. And today in my SFO library I found a book by Laurie Dennett called "A Hug for the Apostle" which I will read after that! Who knew there was so much out there about this pilgrimage?

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you for the other titles! By the way, I found another one in my library too! Fumbling by Kerry Egan. Very good.