Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Priorities

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
My Sabbath moments all involve my prayer life this week. My retreat last week helped me to see that I need to put God first on my list rather than somewhere in the middle. I knew that, of course, but sometimes I get so caught up in my life of work and writing projects, etc., that I lose sight of my priorities. And the Lord let me know that during my retreat!
So I have spent more time this week in silent prayer. More time before the Blessed Sacrament. I even made it to morning Mass one day. What a joy!
It has been difficult for me to make it to weekday Masses because of work and distance from home, etc. But I made some adjustments so I can go once or twice during the week.
Going to Mass before going to work makes such a difference in my day ... in my attitude ... in my prayer life. What a joy!
St Benedict said we need to have balance in our lives - prayer, work and rest - prayer being the most important. He also wrote in his Rule that the disciple should "prefer nothing to the love of Christ."
Amen.
Photobucket

5 comments :

evanscove said...

What better sabbath moments than time spent drawing closer to God? Sounds like you've had a very spiritually fruitful week. Those are things we could all use!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Colleen, thanks for hosting this meme every week. It is a great grounding agent forcing me to think about God working in my life no matter what I'm doing. This meme fits perfectly with your blog title because every Sabbath Moment we think about is a thought on grace.

Colleen said...

Evan, thank you! Yes, we could!

Barb, thank you. I feel the same way about how this meme helps me focus on God working in my life. I am glad you enjoy it. And I never thought about the tie-in to my blog title! Thanks!

Colleen @ ID said...

This was very good, and so was the Noticing God post! Seems like we have a common theme going here in our posts,

Colleen said...

Colleen, yes, I agree!
:)