Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Standing Still

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
1. One day I walked out of the parish office and almost ran into a rabbit! A medium -sized brown rabbit. It froze because it was scared and I froze because I didn't want it to run away. So we stared at each other for a moment. Then I slowly walked toward my car, watching the rabbit all the time, and it finally went scurrying into the bushes. It was a nice surprise!
2. Saw a heron near our pond on the way home and it looked so regal standing there. They always stand so still, they sometimes look like statues.

3. Made it to morning Mass one morning before work and went into the chapel to pray before the Blessed Sacrament. What a wonderful way to start the day. Such a blessing.
4. Read a portion of the Rule of St. Benedict daily and then some reflections on it. He wrote a lot about humility and prayer. He was very wise about how to live in community.
What were some of your sabbath moments?
Photobucket

11 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What beautiful moments you describe.

It's great when we come face to face with nature, like the rabbit and heron.

Recently we had a whole family of foxes in the back garden. It was fun seeing the young ones playing with each other totally un-aware they're in someone's home. Our dog was left inside so as not to disturb them.

God bless.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Getting surprised by wildlife is such fun. Herons really are beautiful.

I am reading daily reflections on the Rule also, especially written for oblates. St. Benedict keeps me practical and grounded. It makes making intentions to live a better life a lot easier. These great saints God has raised up for us have left us so many useful practices inspired by Him. We never have to reinvent the wheel.

Karinann said...

Colleen,
Thanks for sharing these Sabbath Moments. That heron does look quite statuesque.
I loved your story about your watch and retreat over at Catholic Corner. My watch died about 3 years ago. I never got around to getting it fixed and realized I didn't need to.

mary333 said...

I loved the heron picture, Colleen. He looks so graceful standing so still by the water like that.

My nephew actually had a bear walking through his backyard this summer and he snapped some pictures of it with his cell phone. Boy, was he surprised! Personally, I'd rather run into a rabbit :) I never see rabbits around here, though. Deer, turkeys, moles and various other creatures but never rabbits!

Mass in the morning is a great blessing!

Colleen said...

Victor, thank you! That is so cool about seeing those foxes. Once in a while I see one.

Barb, I agree about the saints! And how St Benedict keeps us grounded.

Karinann, isn't that funny about our watches!?! I used to be a nurse and I have always thought I just had to have a watch. Not any more. God got my attention!

Mary, a bear!! Wow! I would rather see a rabbit too! lol

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

We have many Herons around here! LOVE them! Your encounter with Mr. Rabbit made me smile:) Thanks for hosting...even those of us who are "late" ::blushes::

Colleen said...

Judy, Mr. Rabbit made me smile too! :)
I would rather you joined me late than not at all! I am always glad to "see" you!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Beautiful moments, Colleen. Thanks for sharing them with us. Love the picture of the heron.

Kathleen Basi said...

I hardly ever get to daily Mass, but I always remember one Sunday in college when I went in the morning and then someone asked me to go with them that night. Bookending the day like that felt so good.

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you!

Colleen said...

Kathleen, I hardly ever get to morning Mass either. But it is such a wonderful start to the day when I do make it. It is like a gift!