Sunday, November 13, 2011

Glorify God with Our Gifts

Come share your Master's joy. – Matthew 25:21
What if we buried our gifts? What if we didn’t use the gifts God gave us?
I wonder about that every time I hear someone who sings like an angel…
I wonder about that every time I see a painting that touches my heart…
I wonder about that every time I hear a speaker who moves me … or hear a homily that inspires me or listen to a teacher who challenges me.
We are all given gifts. Sometimes we are too afraid to share them. Or we think we are not worthy to use them. So we hide them.
But we are not given gifts so we can bury them. We are given gifts to use them and to help others.
As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God’s varied grace. Whoever preaches, let it be with the words of God; whoever serves, let it be with the strength that God supplies, so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. - 1 Peter 4:10-11a
What if my spiritual director had hidden his gifts of spiritual direction and compassion and healing? He is the one who helped me to discover and use my own gifts.
What about the people who have come to me for spiritual direction? Has God used me to help them discover their gifts?
When we use our gifts to serve one another, they grow.
When we do not use our gifts, when we bury them … what happens then?
Dear Lord, help me to recognize the gifts you have given me and give me the courage to use them according to your will. May I always use these gifts to glorify you and give you praise. Amen.
Photobucket

14 comments :

Michael said...

Makes me wonder what gifts I am burying ... that maybe someone could benefit from.

Wonderful post ... and thank you for using the gift God gave you each time you post!

God Bless

Colleen said...

Michael, thank you! I guess we need to stay awake and aware of what God wants us to do. God bless!

Colleen @ ID said...

Colleen, I recently read the book Gift of Faith by Fr. Tadeusz Dajczer. His opening chapter goes into how the gifts in this parable are not just the talents we might have for teaching, or singing, or serving, but also the crosses that we bear---good health and bad health are both "talents". This seems to especially ring true in the case of someone like you that has truly suffered and through grace and the gift of writing, receiving, and sharing grace and love helped many others, including myself. May God continue to inspire you in fresh ways to serve him with your gifts.

Colleen said...

Colleen, thank you so much for this! I had never thought of that - that talents are also the crosses we bear. The "wounded healer" (Henri Nouwen) comes to mind. I appreciate what you have said here. It gives me something to ponder.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Great post. Thank you.

We often don't recognise our gifts as such and perhaps take them for granted.

God bless.

Jean Wise said...

I think there is a timing to using our gifts too. When I feel restless, discontented one question I ask is if i am using too much of one gift and not enough of another. It is balance for me. Good thoughts today!

mary333 said...

I sometimes wonder whether I bury my talents. I know I'm always grateful when others use theirs but I'm not certain I use mine as well as I should I guess. I think my timidity holds me back to a degree. Thank you, Colleen, this is an excellent post with good questions to ask ourselves.

Reading your posts over the past couple years has really made me aware of your gift for spiritual direction. This is one of your talents no doubt. You often make me see things from a perspective I may not have noticed yet. Plus, I admire your knack for looking at life through optimistic eyes. You even use the Remicade infusions as an opportunity to grow closer to God. It makes me smile!

Colleen said...

Victor, I agree. Sometimes we need someone to point them out to us.

Jean, thank you! Good point you make here. I had not thought of that but that is very true!

Mary, I can be timid too. My spiritual director helped me with that a lot.
Thank you for your kind comments. My to-do list includes a book on spiritual direction - just some personal reflections and witnesses about it. It is a ministry I truly love and I just know deep in my bones that I have been called to it.
God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Sometimes our gifts are obvious and sometimes, when God takes them away we don't know what we have to offer. Then I think we must just offer ourselves and let God sort it out the way He wants. That's been my story in recent years. Lots taken away but other things given.

Colleen said...

Barb, that is beautiful. I agree, sometimes we just need to offer ourselves. Thanks for that.

ellengable said...

Beautiful reflection of last week's Gospel message, Colleen...

Colleen said...

Ellen, thanks so much!

Kathleen Basi said...

You and I both had this on the brain this week after last week's readings.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, yes! The Lord really got us thinking, eh? God bless!