Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Sabbath Time with the Lord

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
1. Eucharistic Adoration. I have not been to adoration for quite a few weeks now for one reason or another and I missed it. I was so happy to make it to my middle of the night hour and just sit with Jesus, soaking in His love and light.
2. Spiritual reading. I am making a conscious effort to read at least an hour every day, and more when I can. I have been a voracious reader since I was a little girl, but lately it has been tough finding time to read. If I do not read, I do not write very well. Even my prayer seems dry. Reading feeds me in so many ways. It is another way to just BE with the Lord and be nourished.
3. Keeping the Lord's Day. Last Sunday had breakfast with some friends after Mass. Hubby had a baptism so I went home and read (more than an hour!) and prayed. It was a quiet afternoon, and when hubby got home, we just chilled. It was a truly perfect Sabbath day - Mass, prayer, friends and family. And rest!
What were some of your Sabbath moments this week?
Please note: I will not be posting Sabbath Moments next week because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Photobucket

13 comments :

Daily Grace said...

I haven't been to adoration in a few weeks. Thanks for the reminder. As I read all of your wonderful Sabbath moments I couldn't help but think of John Michael Talbot "Come to the Quiet". Thank you

Barb Schoeneberger said...

You're right about the spiritual reading affecting writing. If I don't do it, like, you, everything is dry. I don't do an hour a day, but I read from Divine Intimacy and mull over what I've read. Also, if I find something on the internet I want to investigate further, such as Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity, I spend quite a bit of time chasing down information or reading about the person or what he wrote. Then comes a lot more mulling. Thank God I have time to do this!

Colleen said...

Daily Grace, thank YOU! That is such a nice thought - Come to the Water. I love that!

Barb, mulling is so good! That is what I don't do enough of!

mary333 said...

You make a good point about spiritual reading, Colleen. I don't seem to write as well either when I neglect this. Like you, reading feeds me.

I'll rejoin you in Sabbath Moments after Easter - I fell a bit behind in my posting because Michaela was home sick from school.I usually prepare my posts ahead of time and then just click publish before work on Saturday mornings but I didn't get to finish my post. She's feeling better though. Have a great weekend, Colleen :)

Colleen said...

Mary, I am glad Michaela is feeling better. I do hope you meant Thanksgiving though. lol God bless!

evanscove said...

Eucharist adoration, good reading, and time with your beloved: you can't much better than that in terms of "sabbath moments"!

Does your parish have perpetual adoration? It would be good if ours did, but I realize it's not always practical. I can't remember when I last did eucharistic adoration... Too long ago, that's for sure!

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, thanks for your comment!
My parish has 24 hour adoration 2 Fridays a month. I pray that someday we will have perpetual.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderful week...so glad that you have had these times to enrich your spirit and spend time resting in the Lord.

Colleen said...

Judy, thank you, my week had great moments for sure!! And thanks for joining me every week!

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen, you have written about something which has been nagging away at the back of my mind: making time for spiritual reading. Are you reading anything in particular at the moment besides the Bible? I resolve to make reading a central part of my Advent. Thank you!

Colleen said...

Sue, I am glad I am not alone in this struggle! I am reading Walk in A Relaxed Manner by Joyce Rupp - about the pilgrimage in Spain. I figure Advent is like a pilgrimage. I am also reading Breath of the Soul, by Joan Chittister. Very good.

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen, thank you for sharing the titles of the books you are currently reading. God bless!

Colleen said...

Sue, you are welcome! Happy Thanksgiving!