Sunday, November 27, 2011

Watch for the Lord

 "Be watchful! Be alert!" - Mark 13:33
Watch. Be alert.
It is now advent, the time that we wait. We wait for the coming of the Messiah into our hearts.
We say - Come, Lord Jesus, come. Like he is not here already. Like He has left us.
Jesus, of course, never leaves us. But we leave Him. We set our attention on other things, and then wonder where He has gone.
We get all caught up in Christmas shopping and Christmas gifts and decorating and parties, that when we finally take a moment to breathe, we feel as if Jesus is absent.
Jesus never left. We did.
Our best chance of finding God is to look in the place where we left him.  - Meister Eckhart
So it is time to place ourselves again in Jesus’ presence. We pray. We place ourselves in that cave in Bethlehem. We go on a pilgrimage to our hearts.
And that is where we find Him. In our hearts. Where He has been all along.
Advent reminds us to wait. Advent reminds us to pray. Advent reminds us that Jesus is coming and yet, is still with us. Present everyday.
Emmanuel. God with us.
Be alert.
Watch.
Dear Lord, help me to live in the present moment and to be more alert to your presence in my heart and my life always. Help me to not get all caught up in the Christmas shopping frenzy. Remind me to visit the Bethlehem of my heart today and everyday. I love you, Jesus. Amen.


Tricia at Home of the Hmm...ily invites all to link up with her to share your reflections on Sunday scripture.
Photobucket

16 comments :

Karinann said...

Colleen,
I love that quote from Meister Eckert; it is good old fashioned common sense. Thank you for the reminder that God never leaves us, but us who do the leaving.
Hugs & Advent Blessings!

Tricia said...

I am glad I came right over to read your reflection before church this morning. It has inspired an idea to help me relay a concept Sunday School class today. Thanks!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for a great post Colleen.

God bless.

Colleen said...

Karinann, I agree with what you said about that quote. Simple and true
God bless!

Tricia, I am glad my reflection was of some help to you! Hope it went well!

Victor, thanks so much! God bless you, too!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Glad to see you are here and well:)
I came to share Sabbath Moments on Saturday and didn't see your post so I thought, perhaps you were under the weather. I LOVE Advent and I wish you many blessings and joys as you and Rich and your dear family "prepare your hearts" for the celebration of the coming of Our Lord! Thanks for reminding me that God is ALWAYS with me.

Colleen said...

Judy, so sorry you didnt find me Saturday! I posted last week that I was skipping because of Thanksgiving. Thanks for worrying about me! :)
Hope your advent is blessed and joyful!

mary333 said...

Lol! The quote from Meister Eckhart is right on target, isn't it?! This is a great post, Colleen! Thanks!

Colleen said...

Mary, yes it is!! Thanks Mary!

Joann / Into Stillness said...

Wonderful reminder, Colleen. You reminded me of something St. Anselm wrote that was part of the Office of Reading this past week: "Insignificant man, escape from your everyday business for a short while, hide for a moment from your restless thoughts. Break off from your cares and troubles and be less concerned about your tasks and labors. Make a little time for God and rest a while in him."

ellengable said...

Beautiful post, Colleen! Like the others, I love the quote by Meister Eckert!

Jay said...

Beautiful

Colleen said...

Joann - that is perfect. Thank you!

Ellen, thank you! Yes, some of Meister Eckhart's quotes have a way of hitting the nail on the head!

Jay, thanks so much!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I, too, love that Meister Eckhart quote.

Your post reminds me of the great Bach cantata, "Wachet auf" which wasn't written for Advent, but is shot through with the Advent theme:
"Wake up", "He comes", "Zion hears the watchmen singing". Although Bach was a Lutheran, he lived at a time when the Lutherans were not yet so far from the Catholics.

Colleen said...

Thank you, Barb. I had not heard of that song. Cool! God bless!

Jean Wise said...

This is just beautiful. Sorry I am late on commenting, have been out of town on vacation and just now catching up with all the emails and posts. I think Advent is a special time for both of us, isn't it? And you find the most interesting Merton quotes too. just love it!

Colleen said...

Jean, yes Advent is a very special time. I hope we can both keep it in our hearts through the whole year! Hope you had a great vacation! Fun AND restful!