Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sabbath Moments - Celebrating Friendship

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
1. Went to Advent Penance Service yesterday. What a blessing! Reconciliation is such a beautiful sacrament. I almost didn't go. I was so tired. But I knew I would regret not going so I went. It was so uplifting, my fatigue just disappeared.
A time of communion with fellow parishioners as we celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation and know we are loved and forgiven.
2. Had brunch with some old friends of ours. We used to camp together in a Catholic camping group we had started. In fact, that is how we met. They are moving to the other side of the country and we will miss them terribly. They are such beautiful people. Only God knows when we will see them again, but they will remain in our hearts forever. A time of communion with long time friends as we share a meal together and celebrate our friendship.


Photobucket

7 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

Hi Colleen,

Good friends are a real blessing. I hope you will be able to stay in touch with your friends even though they are moving. Maybe via the Internet? Aren't we so fortunate these days to have such a quick and easy way to connect us all together?

I just noticed your patron saint image. I love icons! That is a very beautiful one of St Elizabeth.

God bless!

Jean Wise said...

I agree with you about how priceless friendships are. We have to treasure them and nurture them too - something I have been working on this past year. Thanks for your thoughts this am.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Hi Colleen. It's always hard to have good friends move away. I liked what you said about them being in your hearts no matter where they are. That's love.

The awareness of communion with others is something to keep in mind at every Mass and sacrament we participate in. I'm trying to be more mindful of those who should be with us at these times and who are not, praying for them as I pray for everyone present. Somehow, I think that by lifting the absent up to God He will give them the grace to be present with everyone else someday.

mary333 said...

Hi Colleen,
I'm glad you got a chance to have brunch with your friends before they move away. It's so hard when friends move far away and you know you won't see them much anymore. Sue's right about the internet being a great way to keep in touch though! Congratulations on your new patron saint - may St. Elizabeth's intercession bring you ever closer to the Lord!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

To echo everyone else, good friends are a gift from God! May He reunite you all in His time.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Oh how I understand what you're going through in seeing your friends move far away...our best friends moved to Washington state and were there almost 3 years...but...now they are BACK HERE IN THE EAST and we couldn't be more thrilled! Your Sabbath Moments sound so wonderful...we are so blessed to have the Sacrament of Reconciliation, aren't we? Thanks for inviting us here each week:)

Colleen said...

Sue, keeping in touch via internet for sure! Yse, social media can be a blessing for situations like this one!
I love icons too! They fascinate me somehow.

Jean, thank you. Friends are indeed a treasure.

Barb, that is wonderful, praying for those who are absent. I pray for people I know who are not present but to pray for all is really what being community is about. Thank you!

Mary, thank you for your comments. We hope to see our friends again. Whatever is God's will. I am struck by the fact that my blogging friends are all here to support me and I have not met any of you in person and yet we are friends. Yes, social media and the internet can be such a positive wonderful thing! Another way of having community!

Carol, thank you so much. I appreciate your prayer.

Judy, thank you. I did think of your situation and knew you could relate! I am glad your friends have returned to your area again! And yes, we are blessed with the Sacrament of Reconciliation. God bless!