Sunday, January 22, 2012

All That Really Matters

“Jesus said to them, ‘Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.’” – Mark 1:17
At the end of the day, all that really matters, is meeting Christ.*
I have heard this message and I have experienced this truth over and over. We can go to church and we can do good works and we can be forgiving - all very good things. But they really do not mean much, if we have not experienced the love of Christ.
If we have not personally encountered Jesus.
And if we do not know Jesus, then we cannot bring His love to others. We cannot be fishers of men.
Come after me, said Jesus.
And the disciples dropped everything. They had encountered the Christ and they dropped everything and left everyone behind to follow him.
Have we done that? Have we decided that Jesus is number one in our lives? Are we willing to drop everything?
When all is said and done, meeting Jesus is all that really matters.
Come after me.

Dear Lord, thank you for loving me. Thank you for your patience through all the times I do not put you first. Forgive me for all the times that I just go through the motions. Help me to love more. Help me to know your love more. Amen.

(*This was the message given to us by our retreat master this weekend.)
Photobucket

15 comments :

Maria said...

YES! And it's impossible to explain this to someone... "no one comes to the Father except through me" and "no one can come to me unless the father beckons" so we can only pray for conversion and live our lives in ways that hopefully bring glory to God.

I will probably write more on this, too, this week.

Colleen said...

Thanks, Maria! I look forward to your writing on this subject!

Michael said...

Nice reflection. I feel like I am constantly meeting Jesus on different levels as I continue my journey.

Hopefully we get to join him in Paradise one day!

God Bless you.

Colleen said...

Michael, once I met Jesus and knew his love for me, everything changed for me. I look forward to that day I am with him in paradise! Thank you! God bless!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Very thought-provoking. Thank you.

God bless.

Jean Wise said...

What a great reminder and perfect statement to add to my nighttime examen:

"At the end of the day, all that really matters, is meeting Christ"

Thank you Colleen!

Colleen said...

Victor, thanks for visiting me! God bless!

Jean, thank you! God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Really, you are right - at the end of the day all that matters is meeting Jesus.

This makes me think of two things. The first is how to get people to participate in Eucharistic Adoration. If we really believe that Jesus is present in the Holy Eucharist, we will know that spending an hour - or even a few minutes with Him - is the way to get to know Him better. Can anyone say that he knows Jesus so well he doesn't need to spend time getting to know Him better? And if people don't believe Jesus is really present in the Holy Eucharist, shouldn't they at least, for the sake of the friend inviting, answer the "Come and See"? I am convinced that most people's lives would be measurably better if they made time for adoration because I have complete faith that Jesus will reveal Himself to every seeking heart - even when the seeking heart doesn't know it is Jesus it seeks.

The second idea that came to mind is experiencing Jesus and getting to know Him better through each of the seven sacraments. I don't know if I can be a forgiving person if I don't find Jesus in the sacrament of Penance, for instance. If we paid attention to just these two things, we, in knowing Jesus better, would have a much easier time meeting Him in others.

Your posts are great because they always move me to further considerations - very challenging.

Colleen said...

Barb, love your comment here. I agree with you about Eucharistic Adoration. We are having a Eucharistic Day of renewal at our parish (led by yours truly). I am praying more people will join us in Adoration.
I went to confession last week and it was awesome! I need to go more often. To meet Jesus in the sacraments is such a gift! Thanks and God bless!

Athanasius contra mundum said...

Amen. "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you."

Colleen said...

Athanasius, amen! Thank you!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

"At the end of the day, all that really matters, is meeting Christ.*"

Such simple, yet deeply profound words. Thank you for this reflection.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I will pray for the success of the Eucharistic Day of Renewal.

Colleen said...

Carol, thank YOU! Those are words that I hope I never forget.

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you so much!