Sunday, January 8, 2012

Be a Star for Christ


Matthew 2:10 – They were overjoyed at seeing the star.
In his homily for this feast day of Epiphany, my husband brought up some great questions to ponder. Among them were:
Do those who seek God seek Him in the hearts of His followers?
Do they recognize Christ in each of us?
Do the modern seekers still find Christ, not in a stable in Bethlehem, but in you and me?
As a child, I lived in a dark world. I lived in a world where lies were truth and abuse was called love and dark was called light.
Looking back I can see that there were people in my life who testified to the light. I heard it at church. I heard it from my grandmother. I heard it from friends. I heard it from strangers.
I followed that light for years, not knowing why it was there, not understanding what it was or what it meant or exactly what I was supposed to do with it.
But the light drew me. It drew me for years. Eventually it drew me to Jesus. And soon I realized - it was my turn. It was my turn to testify to the light.
It was time for me to be a light for Jesus so others may find Him.
Lord, help me to see you everywhere and in everyone. Help me to be one of your lights, to be your shining star, leading others to find you. And Lord, oh please, may others see You in me. Amen.
Photobucket

19 comments :

Karinann said...

These are great questions. Thanks for sharing hubby's insights with us, Colleen. God drew the magi just as He draws each of us.
Hugs & blessings!

Colleen said...

Karinann, yes, God did draw the magi like He draws us. What a great message for us, eh? Glad you liked hubby's questions! Hugs and blessings!

Sue Elvis said...

Be a star for Christ? I love that title. Sums up everything very well. Just a few words that I can remember and mull over.

Isn't it good to ponder things with a husband?

Thank you for sharing your story.

God bless!

Jean Wise said...

Great questions to ponder. I too hope and pray I see Christ in all. My minister said this morning, he grew up on a non religious house and it was a neighbor who took him to Sunday School One person CAN make a difference in His Kingdom.

Maria said...

I think seeing Christ in everyone's face is maybe the most important part of my faith.

Colleen said...

Sue, yes, my hubby and I love pondering and reflecting together. We learn from each other!
That title was the 3rd one that came to my mind and obviously, my favorite! God bless, Sue!

Jean, amen! I so believe that. I have seen it in my own life. One person can make a difference.

Maria, I struggle with it but I try. It is a part of the Benedictine Rule - Welcome all as Christ.
Thank you!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

What a grace you were given that in the midst of your misery God kept on calling you until you recognized that He was with you all the time.

It's an inspiring thought that I should be a star for Christ - something to aim for.

Colleen said...

Barb, that is what my spiritual director also told me - that I was given a grace. All I can do is thank God for that. He helped me survive.
You are already a star for Christ - every time you write about Him, you lead others closer to Him.

Colleen @ ID said...

Not long into this I had tears remembering the darkness and pain you experienced as a child, Colleen. Our homily today was on the light too. God Bless You! Glad you are basking in the light of His Grace and seeking everyday to bear witness to that light so that other's might find Him too.

Colleen said...

Colleen, thank you so much. I appreciate your kind and caring words. The thought of Jesus being the Light of the World always comforts me. God bless and Happy New year!

Just Be Real said...

Hallelujah! That is encouragement. A star *. How awesome is that?

Colleen said...

JBR - VERY awesome!!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Hope you had a great Epiphany Day. Here in the UK we celebrated the Epiphany on Sunday the 8th - new Church rule. The Epiphany has been moved to the nearest Sunday to the 6th. The 3 Wise Men arrived late this year. They got a slow train no doubt, or took the wrong detour, relying on their modern satellite navigation system rather than the star shining from the East.

God bless.

Daily Grace said...

"The light" has a way of always drawing us in doesn't it!! What a beautiful message. Your husband sounds like a wise man.

Thank you.

Colleen said...

Victor, the shining star worked better than any satellite!! :)
God bless!

Daily Grace, thank you! Yes, the light draws us in. Praise God.

Joann / Into Stillness said...

A starburst of wisdom and testimony! thank you, Colleen.

Colleen said...

Joann, thank you!

evanscove said...

Right on target! As a song I recall singing in Sunday school as a child goes, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!" We should ALL strive to live holy lives and let the light of Christ shine through us. Saintliness isn't just for priests and religious, after all!

God bless you, Colleen. Keep up the good work of being such a light for Christ in the "blogosphere". :-)

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, thanks so much! I remember that song too! God bless!