Monday, January 30, 2012

On My Mind

I do not usually blog about political issues. I prefer to keep my blog and website about Catholic spirituality and prayer life. Politics do not fit, most of the time.
Well, I have been getting that nudge all week. The nudge that says it is time to speak out about the HHS mandate.
I am sure most of you know what I am talking about. If you don't, you need to. You can visit the USCCB website or you can go here to read Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan's article on it. He really says it all, better than I will say it here. Here is an excerpt - 
"The Catholic Church defends religious liberty, including freedom of conscience, for everyone. The Amish do not carry health insurance. The government respects their principles. Christian Scientists want to heal by prayer alone, and the new health-care reform law respects that. Quakers and others object to killing even in wartime, and the government respects that principle for conscientious objectors. By its decision, the Obama administration has failed to show the same respect for the consciences of Catholics and others who object to treating pregnancy as a disease."
These are my feelings about it - anger and fear.
As an American Catholic, I am angry that the Obama administration would actually intrude on our religious freedom in this way.
I am afraid what this can mean for religious freedom for all religions and what this can mean for all of our freedoms.
When one is taken away, it is not difficult to see that others will soon follow.
It is unfathomable to think that our democratic government can actually force the Catholic Church to provide sterilization and contraception, including some abortion-producing drugs. This shows a lack of understanding of freedom of religion and a lack of understanding of the Catholic conscience. Catholics must be free to follow their own beliefs and way of life. 
Do we have to start building our own Mayflower?
Please read this article on the our Holy Father's reaction. Here is a quote from that article:
"Pope Benedict XVI warned today of a “grave threat” to religious liberty in the United States that requires American Catholics to respond with intelligence and courage.
“It is imperative that the entire Catholic community in the United States come to realize the grave threats to the Church’s public moral witness presented by a radical secularism which finds increasing expression in the political and cultural spheres,” he said Jan. 19 in an address to a group of American bishops visiting the Vatican."
It is time for us to speak up. We must respond to this attack on religious liberty. We must respond to the attack on life. And we must educate our fellow Catholics.
The February 2012 issue of the U. S. Catholic reports that 51% of their readers that responded to a survey say they intend to vote for Barack Obama in the 2012 election.
Lord, have mercy.
Photobucket

11 comments :

Colleen @ ID said...

Agree with everything you said, and Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan said. I love that he is blessed with position and a courageous and eloquent voice. I also want a legal challenge mounted and this brought to court and eventually to the Supreme Court as soon as possible . . . . although I may be ignorant on this, isn't that what is necessary to suppress this regulation?

Daily Grace said...

I, too, agree with what you have said here. I did a similar post last week on the HHS mandate.

I try to stay away from politics myself but sometimes we are called to action. Thank you for this post.

Colleen said...

Colleen, thank you for your comment. Yes, I think it will need to go to the Supreme Court. There are some bishops already coming right out to say they will not follow this mandate. Things seem to be happening fast. Let's pray!

Daily Grace, yes, I agree. Sometimes we are called to speak out on important issues and this is a major one right now. Thank you for speaking out too. God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

"Lord have mercy" is right. Marco Rubio has introduced a bill in Congress to block this mandate. Let's hope it passes.

51% of Catholic readers of U.S. Catholic would vote for Obama again? They must a. not be part of the 16% or so of people out of work and who can't find jobs, or b. they don't know their Faith, or c. they can't connect the dots from this mandate to the one coming that says anybody who the government judges to be useless physically or mentally is to be killed.

Thank God for Dolan, Chaput, and the other bishops speaking out about conscience. And Kathleen Sibelius' bishop needs to deny her Holy Communion and explain to her that she has excommunicated herself by issuing this mandate. But then, maybe she doesn't care.

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

That last line about the 50+% that say they will vote for the incumbent candidate ASTOUNDS ME! Truly, I am speechless! I surely hope that it NOT correct information on their part.

As to the rest of your post, as you personally know, I not only share your sentiments but your Faith and my heart aches with yours.

After seeing the outrageous, offensive, and lewd video that was plastered on the internet in celebration of this decision of our Administration...I felt SO sad for America...and for our children.

I understand that men and women need not agree on faith or political or ANY issues...but to CELEBRATE when someone else's freedom has been taken away...that is just inhumane in my opinion.

Thank you for speaking to this issue, Colleen. I join my prayers to yours that this will be rescinded.

Colleen said...

Judy, that percentage floored me too! Very upsetting.
I did not see that video you are talking about. Sounds terrible!
Thank you for your comments. It is good that we can speak out on this issue and support our church and bishops and each other.

Colleen said...

Barb, I was upset by that 51 percent figure too. Really shocking. I think these people need more education. Maybe this crisis will do that.
Yes, thank God for the bishops speaking out. We need to support them. Prayers!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

I am planning a blog post about this issue this week, too.

It is horrific that we are actually facing this situation and that our religious liberties are seriously at risk. I share the same anger and fear as you do.

We have a lot of praying and sacrificing to do.

Colleen said...

Carol, yes, we do have a lot of praying and sacrificing to do. I am really shocked that we are in this place now. And I find it frightening. Thanks for posting about this too! We all need to speak up.

Kathleen Basi said...

This has been troubling me a lot. Mostly b/c I haven't seen any way to make a difference in the decision. Do the bishops actually have a way to act that can make a difference?

Colleen said...

Kathleen, one of my Florida senators (Rubio) has introduced a bill to change that mandate. Also some Catholic institutions are planning to sue if they haven't already. This will then force it into the Supreme Court. We hope. Because I think we will win there. If we dont, our country is in worse shape than I thought. The Supreme Court just ruled on a case involving Lutheran employers, saying they can hire and fire anyone they want. That govt should not intervene. Interesting eh?