Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Thankful for Blessings- Retreats and Air Conditioning

My blogging friend, Judy, has an inspiring blog, A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings. Please join her every Wednesday in giving thanks for the many blessings we receive from God. When we remember our blessings, we find that we have a new attitude of gratitude! Write a list of 5 blessings and then link to Judy's blog. Also be sure to check out her new meme and her newly published book!
My blessings this week:
1. Hubby and I went on a diaconate retreat last weekend and it was awesome! The best ever! The retreat master was a priest from Ireland and he was so inspiring. His meditations were moving and went straight to my heart. Thank you, Lord, for sending us this holy priest.
2. While on retreat, I had an opportunity to go to confession. Experiencing Jesus in this sacrament is such a gift and this priest was just amazing. I felt so filled with the love of God. I wish I could find better words.
3. I am so blessed with my job as parish secretary. To be able to work with a wonderful pastor and to be part of the church in this way is a blessing. I have been working at my parish as the parish secretary for almost 20 years! God is good.
4. I feel so blessed to be a Catholic and to be able to go to Mass everyday. I remember as a child, living across the street from a Catholic church and wondering why they got to go to church everyday and I did not (I was protestant at the time.) Thank you, Jesus, for the Mass.
5. I know this is a little different from my other 4 blessings, but I am grateful for air conditioning. Believe it or not, I am using air conditioning tonight as I write this because it was too hot in our house. In January. I know, I live in Florida, but still, air conditioning in January??? Over 80 degrees today!
 
Photobucket

15 comments :

Kristen @ St Monica's Bridge said...

I live in southeastern NC (about 40 miles from the SC border) and I don't know how people made it before air conditioning. I know they did, I just can't imagine it! And I realize when I was very young we didn't have it, but I don't really remember it being that hot back in those days :). So glad your retreat went well! And confession is, after the Eucharist, the greatest gift I have received!

Anne said...

I appreciate your first four Colleen, but air conditioning? Even in 80 degree weather I would keep it turned off. Come on up to Wisconsin for some natural air conditioning! Brrr!

Blessings to you!

Daily Grace said...

I love you many blessings Colleen. They are so full of joy. I could use a good retreat, it's been a long time since I have gone on one.

Susan said...

Another great list. I remember my cousin commenting once that Confession (Reconciliation) was the best thing about being Catholic. I think he's on to something, not that there aren't several good things.

A good retreat is wonderful. We all need to slow down and reflect now and then.

Susan said...

I forgot. The online Science Expo sounded fantastic. Is there a link?

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

You ladies are so funny with your "air conditioning". I am glad that you are blessed with it too, though! LOL
Your week sounds like a spiritual delight! Thanks for sharing!
And, if I might throw a "HELLO" out there to "Anne Bender"...so nice to see you in the comments here at Colleen's! Haven't "seen" you for a long time!

Colleen said...

Kristen, I dont know how they made it without air conditioning either!
I agree about confession and Eucharist.

Anne, LOL. Actually it was close to 85 and very humid. Believe me I tried to not have it. But I started puffing up like crazy - my RA! Could not bear it any longer.

DG - I hope you get to go on one soon. They can be so renewing!

Susan, yes, slowing down is important. The 7 sacraments are such gifts to us! And confession and the Eucharist are 2 of the ones we can celebrate often, not just once! God is good.

Colleen said...

Susan, I think the link you are referring to is on Judy's blog.??

munchesmom said...

Sounds like a wonderfully, spiritual week for you! I just love retreats & wish I had time to attend more often.

Colleen said...

munchesmom, it was very spiritual. Such a blessing for me. I love retreat too! Hope you get to go one soon!

Judy, it seems funny to talk about air conditioning in January! Even in Florida!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Overheard on the bus: "Count your blessings"

I started counting and soon ran out of fingers !!!

God bless.

OrdainedPraise said...

That little girl that used to watch all the Catholics go to Mass is now one herself! And even has served the parish for twenty years! Sounds like a great week! The Lord has truly blessed you.

Colleen said...

Victor - me too!!! :)

Ordained Praise - thank you! I love how you put that. I had not thought of it quite that way.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Beautiful blessings, even the air conditioning!

I'm hoping and praying I'll have the chance to make a retreat this year. Sounds like yours was wonderful!

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you! I hope you get to go on retreat!