Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Healing Touch of Jesus

Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand, touched him, and said to him, “I do will it. Be made clean.” – Mark 1:41
Touch.
We need touch.
We need to touch and we need to BE touched.
Touch is so healing.
I learned this when I worked as a nurse, many years ago. Many times, patients’ fears and pain could be lessened by the mere act of sitting with them and holding their hand.
Fr. Ron Rolheiser writes about this in his book, Our One Great Act of Fidelity, Waiting for Christ in the Eucharist. He writes that Jesus knew we needed to be touched so he gave us the Eucharist.
“So on the night before his death, having exhausted what he could do with words, Jesus went beyond them. He gave us the Eucharist, his physical embrace, his kiss, a ritual within which he holds us to his heart.”
What an image that gives us!
Whenever we need that healing touch, we know where to go. We know where to to find it.
Jesus.
Oh Lord, you know what I need. I need healing. I need your touch, your loving embrace. Thank you so much for your gift of the Eucharist. Help me to never take it for granted. Help me to tell others about this miracle, this gift of healing. Amen.
Photobucket

3 comments :

Maria said...

Wow, that makes so much sense. I'm someone that craves touch but only if it's from the right person, otherwise it repels me, so it makes sense that I'm very attracted to Jesus in the Eucharist.

Michael said...

I never looked at the Eucharist in quite that light ... so thank you for this!

God Bless!

Colleen said...

Maria, it is such a beautiful image, isnt it? God bless.

Michael, you are welcome! What a beautiful way for us to experience God's love for us.