Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jesus Shows Us the Way

Rising very early before dawn, he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed.- Mark 1:35
Jesus preached in the synagogue.
Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law.
Jesus drove out some demons.
Jesus went by himself to pray.
Then he started all over again.
He went to preach and heal and drive out demons.
Jesus was faithful to his prayer life. And he knew he could not do all of this without prayer, not without talking to His Father. Not without taking time alone to just be with God, to listen to God, to renew Himself, to learn God’s will.
And in doing so, Jesus shows us the way.
This is one of my favorite scripture verses:
I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me. – Philippians 4:13
Whenever I am tempted to think I can manage on my own strength, I am reminded of this.
And I know I need only to look at Jesus.
And pray.
Dear Lord, I love you. Help me to remember to spend more private time with you. Help me to listen more and to trust in you. Amen.
Photobucket

10 comments :

Colleen @ ID said...

How strange and wonderful that Ephesians 4:13 is so similar to Philippians 4:13!

Colleen said...

OOPS! I meant Philippians! Thanks for saying something! I was looking at another verse in Ephesians and got mixed up! All corrected! God bless!

Colleen @ ID said...

I guess I should have looked up Eph. 4:13 to find out why the similarity struck me so strangely first! Eph. 4:13 is a good one too, just different theme--Christian unity. That verse may be meant for me in a way!

Colleen said...

Colleen, Yes, maybe that verse was meant for you! God works in mysterious ways!
I have to smile. I keep seeing Colleen written everywhere in this comment box!!
Thank you!

Just Be Real said...

Wonderful Colleen. Blessings.

Kathleen Basi said...

I've been thinking about this since yesterday. I have a blog post on this topic brewing, too.

Jean Wise said...

My pastor said yesterday prayer is sharpening the saw. I like that image too. Man, they wouldn't let Jesus get much rest - always after Him. Thanks Colleen for good words of wisdom

Colleen said...

JBR, thank you!

Kathleen, I will be sure to visit you and read it!

Jean, the image of sharpening the saw is not one I have heard before. I am going to ponder that one! Thank you!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

If I try to do anything important without praying first, things just don't turn out very well.

Colleen said...

Barb, I know what you mean. It seems I need to learn that lesson over and over.