Friday, February 17, 2012

Religious Books

Karinann from Daughter of the King has tagged me for this fun meme. I am supposed to name three of my favorite religious books and then tag three others to do the same.
Like Karinann, the problem wasn't finding 3 books, the problem was limiting the list to 3 books. So I just chose the books that are the most worn out from my reading them so often!

1. Story of a Soul, by St. Therese of Lisieux. St. Therese is one of my favorite saints. Actually, she was my FIRST saint after converting to Catholicism. I have read this book many times. I find such inspiration from her reflections as well as the story of her life.

2. Be Still, Thirty-One Days to a Deeper Meditative Prayer Life, by Amy & Judge Reinhold.  I stumbled onto this book and I have been using it as a prayer aid for about 2 years or more. It is a guide to lectio divina and inspires the reader to be still and listen and grow closer to God. It uses scripture and quotes from different spiritual writers. It is a simple book, but a treasure.
 
3. Toward God, The Ancient Wisdom of Western Prayer, by Michael Casey. Fr. Casey writes well in this book on prayer. I have read it quite a few times and I refer to it often when I am writing or speaking on prayer. In fact, it is a major source of my recent blog series on prayer, Bringing Our Hearts Into Prayer.

I pass this onto 

Judy at A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings
Barbara at Suffering with Joy
Sue at Sue Elvis Writes
 
Photobucket

11 comments :

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen,

I've read Story of a Soul many times but haven't read your other two favourite books. I will look out for them.

Thank you for tagging me. I am thinking... as you said, limiting the choice to only three books is very difficult!

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen,

I forgot to say I read your new retreat ebook and it provided the impetus for me to examine where I am and where I should be heading. Thank you!

Kari said...

I am always looking for more spiritual books. Thanks so much for sharing your list.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Thanks, Colleen. I'll work on this when I get back in town early next week. Like you, the hardest thing will be to limit myself to three.

Jean Wise said...

Great list Colleen. I will have to check out book, Be Still. Sounds like one I would like

Colleen said...

Sue, there are so many great books! Hard to choose!
Thank you for your comment on my ebook! I am glad it helped you to examine yourself. That is kind of what I was hoping for - the retreat did that for me and so I hoped it would lead others in the same way!

Kari, you are welcome! Thanks for visiting!

Barb, I agree - it was hard to choose. Have a good trip!

Colleen said...

Jean, yes, I think you would like Be Still!

munchesmom said...

Thanks for adding more books to my ever-growing list of "want-to-reads!" I've found the best way to read good books is on the recommendation of others.

BTW - I left an award for you on my blog!

Colleen said...

munchesmom, I know what you mean. That list of books to read never ends does it?
Thanks for the award! I am going to go check it out!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Oh, boy! How fun! Thanks for inviting me to join:)
I'm with you...I will struggle to limit my choices by listing books that I've worn the covers off of!
I'll try to get a post up for it over the weekend. THANKS COLLEEN AND KARINANN!

Colleen said...

Judy, no hurry! Have fun choosing!!!