Saturday, February 4, 2012

Sabbath Moments - Icons & the Rosary

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
Some of my moments this week:
1. Going to daily Mass and spending silent time in the chapel after Mass is such a blessing to me. I cease running around like crazy and I spend it with the Lord. Just awesome.
2. Over the past several years, I have grown to love icons. This past Christmas I gave myself a gift of an icon that I cannot stop looking at. It is the Face of Christ and it is one of the most beautiful icons I have ever seen. Thomas Merton said that icons are reminders to pray and this one certainly reminds me to pray every time I see it. Here is a picture of my icon -


3. This may fall under the category of God-incidence!
I went to Mass one morning and I kept getting the message that I should pray the rosary after Mass. This is unusual because I do not pray the rosary very often, but every so often I get the call to pray it and I try to do so. I don't like saying no to God!
I also remember thinking that I should pray the rosary for the support of our bishops and the reversal of the HHS Mandate. Then I forgot about it.
But God didn't.
When Mass was over, the announcement was made that they would be praying the rosary after Mass in the chapel! Disappointed at first that I was not going to have some silent time before the Blessed Sacrament, I suddenly remembered the nudge I got during Mass!
God has a way of letting us know what He wants. In this case, He made sure He gave me a reminder!!
Photobucket

8 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I love icons, too. At first, I didn't care for them, but now I really love them. But I've read explanations of icons and that helped me a lot.

Ha, ha on the rosary. God isn't kidding when He wants us to do something. I do best when I meditate on each part of the rosary prayers. I like honoring Mary. St. Louis de Montfort has a good book on the rosary which helps make praying it easier.

Colleen said...

Barb, I didn't care for them either. But I read explanations, too, and what a difference that made!
Meditating helps me with the rosary but it still is hard for me to pray. God seems to call me to pray it for intentions. Thanks for joining me in this meme! God bless!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

I just love when God "repeats" Himself like that when He knows that we are going to forget His prompting!
So glad you have the opportunity for Mass and prayer before the Blessed Sacrament. Thanks for sharing your God-incidence! My husband's family is Byzantine Catholic and their churches have many, MANY beautiful icons in them.

Colleen said...

Judy, God is so good. He never lets us go!!
Oh, I can only imagine the icons in the Byzantine Church. Would love to see them sometime. God bless!

Carol@simple_catholic said...

I have always loved icons and I must say that yours is one of the most beautiful ones I've seen.

I'm so glad that you remembered and responded to God's call to pray the rosary. We are going to need A LOT of prayer and sacrifices to get that mandate reversed.

Colleen said...

Carol, amen! I agree.
And I also agree that the icon is so beautiful. I have never seen that one before. God bless!

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to get an icon or two for some time now. (Do you know of any places online that I can order them from for a good price?) We have pictures of things from nature or our family members, significant events, or even historical or political figures we admire. So why not have pictures of our heavenly family to remind us of the great "cloud of witnesses" that we are surrounded by?

I'm sure you're not the only person to prompted by the Holy Spirit to pray over the HHS mandate. We should all do that!

And what better 'sabbath moment' can you get than going to mass? Wish I could go during the week, but that pesky day job gets in the way!

Sorry I've been absent from "Sabbath Moments" for so long. I've let my blogging largely fall by the wayside. I need to pick it up again!

Evan

Colleen said...

Evan, I got my icon at Monastery Icons. Yes, you can order online.
I struggle to make it to daily Mass. I try to get there at least twice during the week.
We miss you! Hope you will join us again when you can. Thanks for stopping by!