Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sabbath Moments - Simplifying My Life

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
Some of my moments this week:
1. Lent has begun, and as usual, I need to be sure that I do not overdo everything. I start "collecting" devotionals and it gets to be too much. I want to simplify things this year. So I chose a book to read that "talks" all about that! Simplifying the Soul, by Paula Huston. It is very good and I am going to make sure to take time everyday to read it.
2. I drive on a bridge over a large river on my way back and forth to work everyday. This river empties into the Gulf of Mexico. Once in awhile I see a pelican when I am driving over the bridge but it has been months since the last time. Well, this week I finally saw one! It was heading toward me and I could have almost touched it as it flew by. How awesome! A great reminder of God's gift of creation!
3. I often read and pray late at night and sometimes I fall asleep and spend half the night in my chair! Thank goodness it is comfortable. One night this week I slept all night in my chair! Which means I am probably not getting enough sabbath moments in my life.
Photobucket

11 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

We can get pretty ambitious in our spiritual life, and as you say, overdo it. This Lent I want to make a habit of spiritual reading which will carry on through the rest of the year - without overdoing it. Striking that happy medium is something God will take care of, I'm sure.

I'd love to see a pelican in its native territory. You will often see pelicans as a motif on baldicchinos or near the altar because it is a symbol of the Holy Eucharist.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you so much for these beautiful reflections. We need time to stop and think during Lent.

God bless.

mary333 said...

Simplifying the Soul sounds like a really good book, Colleen. I read a sample on Amazon when I checked out the link you left. Enjoy! I'm tempted to pick it up too!

I overdo it in my spiritual life sometimes too. Either that or I underdo it. Maybe this year we'll do just right!

I better not leave to long a comment because I noticed that DG hasn't left one yet ;) God bless!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

Simplifying. Perfect reflection for Lent. Thank you! That pelican sounds awesome!

Colleen said...

Barb, love the pelicans. They are so strange looking and fun to watch.

Victor, thank you! I agree!

Mary, lol. Yes I am enjoying that book very much. Hope we both find that happy medium as Barb put it.

Judy, pelican was very awesome!
I think a lot of us need that simplifying. God bless!

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

I'm so glad I found your link up here!

Part of what I love about going on vacation is being closer to ocean animals .... we were lucky enough to see a river dolphin and her baby - I was as enthralled as my children -- it was amazing!

Colleen said...

Dianna, thanks for finding me! I love dolphins! And ocean life. My favorite place to pray in nature. God bless.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

It's almost hard for me not to over-do it on the Lenten practices. Thanks for this reminder of simplicity!

Colleen said...

Carol, I am glad to know I am not alone! :)

Koala Bear Writer said...

I have so many books on my to-read list... right now, I'm trying to tackle one at a time and to enjoy them, instead of rushing through one to start on the next one. :)

Colleen said...

Koala, I guess a lot of us have this problem! I know I get so excited to read all of them! One at a time is the way to go. Thanks for joining me in Sabbath moments.