Sunday, February 19, 2012

Setting Captives Free

Unable to get near Jesus because of the crowd, they opened up the roof above him. After they had broken through, they let down the mat on which the paralytic was lying. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Child, your sins are forgiven.”  (Mark 2:5-6)
 

The paralytic had some very loyal friends. They were willing to do anything to help him. They had heard about this Jesus who was healing people, so they decided to bring their friend to him.
But there was a problem. There were so many people there to see Jesus, they couldn’t get their buddy in through the door. So they did what any quick-thinking, caring, worried friend would do in a situation like that.
They cut a hole and lowered their friend to Jesus through the roof.
Awesome.
When we sin, we are often unable to move in the right direction. In fact, we turn away from God. You might say we are paralyzed.
Sometimes we need our friends to show us the way. Sometimes we need the love and faith of our friends to help us to see the loving mercy of the Lord. Friends who are willing to go to any lengths to see us whole again.
And what about us? Are we willing to go the extra mile for others? For our friends? Our family?  Are we willing to do what it takes to bring others to Jesus?
Or are we like that crowd of people blocking the door?

Dear Jesus, thank you for loving me. Increase my faith, Lord. Help me to bring others to you for healing. Help me not to judge others. Amen.
Photobucket

9 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

When we're so weak and tired that we can no longer pray, or when our Faith is really battered and shaken, that's when we should rely on the prayers and Faith of others.

God bless you.

Colleen said...

Victor, amen! Thank you! God bless.

Maria said...

sIt's true Victor, but I also feel that even in life's most difficult battles, or worst pain, we need to remember that "Jesus" is just two syllables, just a breath even, "Jesu". It's important for me to remember that's a perfect prayer in itself, even if it's all we have.

Michael said...

I see God moved us in the same way this week! The spirit of those friends really moved me this week.

God Bless!

Colleen said...

Maria, that is a perfect prayer. I often pray His name throughout the day. So beautiful.

Michael, I am on my way to read your post! Thanks!

cinhosa said...

In times when I feel I lack strength to help a paralyzed loved one, I pray the prayer of St. Francis.

http://www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=134

It helps me reset my expectations of what I am called to do as a disciple.

Good post and thank you for dropping by earlier.

I offer prayers for you and your intentions.

Colleen said...

cinhosa, I love that prayer! My husband's favorite. Thanks for your comment and prayers. God bless!

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

I like that not judging others bit. Also, we really have to go to great lengths to bring others to Jesus. When I'm at my weakest, it seems there's always somebody out there to hold me up and keep me close to Him.

Colleen said...

Thanks, Barb. And I agree. Where would we be without our friends or our community?