Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Three Reasons Why I am Pro Life

I first posted this 12/11/2008. I was reading through some old posts and thought I should post this again considering what is going on in our country right now.

#3. Hope - I wonder if people have run out of hope when they choose abortion or euthanasia, hope and trust that God can help them through their difficult situation. Maybe they feel like they have no choice. Perhaps they don't know or they forget that God can carry them through the pain and dry their tears and make crooked ways straight. I have often felt, in the midst of my own crises, that hope is all I have left. Lord, in this advent of our lives, please increase our hope in you.
#2. Church Teaching - When I first converted to Catholicism, I struggled with the prolife issues. I wasn't sure I wanted the Church telling me what to think or believe. I tried to be obedient and I learned all about informed conscience and the need to educate oneself about Catholic teaching and to pray for guidance and yet I still struggled.
And then one day I had an epiphany. I was with a person I love very much who had been adopted. And it suddenly struck me that she could have been aborted, and what would my world have been like without her? Who has the world missed knowing because of all these abortions? Once my question about abortion was resolved, the other life issues fell right into line. My struggle was over. God had shown me the answer.
#1. God - I am pro life because I am "pro" God. God is Creator. God is Love. Without God, we would cease to exist. The fact we live, means God lives. If I love God, then I must love what God creates. I must love what God loves. I must love life.
Photobucket

10 comments :

munchesmom said...

Thank you for re-posting this! Those are three GREAT reasons!

Colleen said...

munchesmom, thank you! God bless!

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen,

When I was pregnant with Thomas, I heard about a number of mothers in a similar position to me who'd chosen to abort their babies who had health problems. I think they were frightened of facing the birth and then deaths of their babies. I understood that fear because I was just as scared. But unlike those other women, I had my faith: as you said, God, the Church's teachings and hope. I am always so grateful for this. Our faith is a great gift.

Some times I find myself writing stories about Thomas which could be described as pro-life. Your reasons for being pro-life could describe mine.

Great post! I am still mulling it over.

God bless.

Colleen said...

Sue, faith and hope. Such gifts and such blessings. They get us through difficult times to be sure.
I feel sorry for those who did not have the hope or faith to choose life. I pray for them. I know many are suffering from their choices. That is the story many people do not hear.
You have suffered greatly, too, Sue. Your faith has helped you. Thanks for sharing your stories about Thomas.
I am glad I gave you something to mull over!! God bless!

Sue Elvis said...

Colleen,

We hear so many people condemning those who have abortions, and yes, it is not right at all. Babies are being murdered and that is unacceptable. But I truly believe there will come a time when these people will suffer because of those decisions. They won't be able to go back and fix things up but have to live with what they have done. How glad I am, that with God's grace, I am not in that situation. Yes, those who have had abortions really need prayers.

Colleen said...

People are suffering from having abortions. That is why Project Rachel exists. A wonderful ministry that is helping many women heal. By the way, the woman who created Project Rachel also created a similar ministry for sexual abuse victims. Seems that many abuse victims have abortions. I am not surprised. Prayers for all.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Amen, amen, amen! Great post. And thank you for the reminder of HOPE.

Colleen said...

Carol, hope has carried me through many a crisis in my life. God bless!

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Three great reasons, Colleen and I'm glad you put "hope" first.

Over the past few years I've determined that if people really, truly trusted in God, they would not abort their babies nor use contraceptives. Trusting in ourselves is folly, but with God anything is possible.

If a person doesn't have a deep personal relationship with God and regularly practice trust in Him, bad choices follow. Hence our great need for evangelization everywhere we can. We need lots of Mother Teresa clones out there.

Colleen said...

Barb, I so agree with you. In talking to people who have had abortions, the lack of trust seems to be a key issue. They just cannot seem to see another way out of it. You are right - we need Mother Teresa clones!