Sunday, March 11, 2012

Getting Our Attention

“But Jesus would not trust himself to them because he knew them all, and did not need anyone to testify about human nature. He himself understood it well. “ – John 2:25
When I read this gospel reading about Jesus driving out the money-changers from the temple, I often wonder if he was really angry or whether he was just trying to get everyone’s attention.
God chooses different ways to get our attention.
Sometimes it is like a soft breeze. Maybe we read something that touches us.
Sometimes it is like a heavy wind. Maybe it’s a homily that seems to be directed right at us.
Then, every once in awhile, a big storm hits, and we know God wants our attention.
Lent is a great time to drive out the money-changers. Lent is a great time to get our attention. With all the special Lenten practices we do, we seem to be more open.
Jesus changes us. He changes our hearts. Not only as individuals but also as a church.
I am reminded of the sexual abuse scandal in Lent of 2002. I am reminded of the HHS mandate and the resulting hurricane-like reactions.
Jesus knows our hearts. He knows how to get our attention so he can change us. So we can experience a time of renewal, a time of healing, a time of penance.
So Jesus shakes things up.
He shakes us up.
How about you? Did Jesus get your attention lately?
Dear Lord, sometimes when you get my attention, it is not too comfortable. But I know it is necessary to change my mind and heart. Help me to listen better, Lord. Change my heart.

10 comments :

Victor S E Moubarak said...

How about you? Did Jesus get your attention lately?

Yes ... very much so.

When Jesus wants to get our attention He makes it plain that it is Him speaking.

Remember Paul on the road to Damascus?

God bless.

Jean Wise said...

God choose different ways to get our attention. - WOW lots of insight packed in that sentence, Colleen. Since God is in everything, He is always seeking us to pay attention. Great reminder!

Colleen said...

Victor, Ah yes, I agree! Jesus sure did get Paul's attention didn't he?
God bless!

Jean, thank you! Glad you liked my post! Yes, I think God is always trying to get our attention. Lord, help me to be more alert!

Tess said...

Hi Colleen,

My name is Therese Heckenkamp, and I was wondering if you would be interested in reviewing my Catholic suspense novel, Past Suspicion, for your blog. Past Suspicion is about a teen on a quest to unravel the dangerous secrets of her mother's past. You can read further details and reviews at Amazon and at IvoryTowerPress.com.

If your are at all interested in reviewing my book, I would be happy to send a copy (a hard copy, a PDF, or a Kindle version, whichever you prefer). Just let me know!

Thank you for your time and consideration, and God bless!

Therese Heckenkamp
tessheckenkamp@hotmail.com

Barb Schoeneberger said...

It helps to be disposed toward the truth so Jesus doesn't have to knock us off our high horses and strike us blind like Paul, or to rearrange our surroundings as He did with the money changers. His Father's house is very precious to Him. It makes me think hard about being conscientious in my behavior in church.

Colleen said...

Barb, thank you. I agree, a good way to look at it.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

Oh, yes,the Lord is definitely getting my attention!

Our parish is doing a Lenten bible study using the book "A Biblical Walk Through the Mass" by Edward Sri. The Lord has been using that book to draw me closer to Him and helping me appreciate His Sacrifice in a deeper way.

Thank you for this lovely reflection!

Kathleen Basi said...

That's a great thought.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, thank you. A little different. My husband gave a homily today about how Jesus "gets in our face" to get us to make a choice for him. I like that too. We need that sometimes. God bless!

Colleen said...

Carol, I have heard of that book. I am glad Jesus got your attention! God bless!