Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Mountain-Top Experience

Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, "Rabbi, it is good that we are here; let us make three tents: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." (Mark 9:5)
I love this statement. I think of the times I have had a mountain-top experience and I wanted to hold onto it so it would last forever. It is as if I thought I would lose it. Or lose God. But those kinds of experiences are consolations, gifts, warm-fuzzies. Those experiences are not God Himself.
Peter had the company of God with him in a very unique way for 3 years. But he didn't know that. He didn't seem to understand that he was looking at the face of God everyday.
How many times have I looked right past God because I was too interested in the "experience" of God?
Lord, it is good to be here with you. Help me to remember you are with me all the time, in both the mountains and the valleys of my life. Amen.

11 comments :

Karinann said...

Colleen,
Such a good point- the difference between God Himself and the experience of God. I like holding onto those mountaintop experiences too, but like the Apostles I need to make the trip down of that mountain and see God in the people and goings on of my everyday life.
Thanks for this wonderful reflection and I will join you in your prayer,
Hugs & Blessings.

Michael said...

Oooo good one. Never really thought about that!

Thanks for opening my eyes!

God Bless.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Amen.

Colleen said...

Karinann, great point - coming off the mountain to see God in our ordinary lives. Thank you!

Michael, thank you! God bless!

Barb, thank you!

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Lovely reflection and a great reminder!

Colleen said...

Dwija, thank you! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

How many times have I looked right past God because I was too interested in the "experience" of God?

Very thought-provoking. Thank you.

God bless.

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

what a lovely reminder to set our focus in the right direction! Have a marvelous week!

Colleen said...

Dianna, thank you!

Victor, glad you liked it. I think we all do that - mistake the experience for God Himself. The experience is a gift and can be appreciated. But when we look for the experience all the time, we often miss God who is right in front of us. (so to speak)
God bless!

Kari said...

Wow- what a beautiful reflection! I had never thought about how Peter spent his days in the presence of God every minute but he did not really appreciate it until he was on that mountain top.

For me, following Christ is not always easy and does not always feel good. I guess it was that way even for the apostles. Thank you SO much for sharing your thoughts.

God bless, Kari

Colleen said...

Kari, you are welcome and I agree with you. Following Jesus is not always easy.