Saturday, March 24, 2012

Sabbath Moments - God-Incidence

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.

My Sabbath moments were a bit different this week - 
 1. Sometimes Sabbath moments come to me in "God-incidences."  They slow me down, reminding me to pay attention to the Lord of my life.
Everyday I tell my husband – You are the sunshine of my life.
Sometimes I just say it. Most often I sing it to him, in a funny, teasing way. (He loves it. Not. Well.... maybe.)
The other day I was sitting in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel before Mass, praying silently. I started telling Jesus how much I love Him and suddenly the words came to me – You are the sunshine of my life.
So there I was, in the chapel, singing (silently) this song to Jesus. Then I went to Mass and listened to a gospel reading and homily about Jesus being the Light of the World.
Hmmm.

2. Wednesday was a hard day. It was so busy, I barely had time to breathe. On top of it all, I missed a Mass that was being said for my stepfather. I was so disappointed. Consequently, I was also a bit grumpy. I tried not to let it show and I prayed a lot throughout the day to stop thinking about myself and just offer it up to the Lord.
That evening, I was checking my calendar to see what my schedule for Thursday looked like and imagine my surprise when I saw the Mass for my stepfather was marked for Thursday! I had been wrong about the day!
I felt like I had been given a gift. My disappointment on Wednesday turned into joy on Thursday.
And also relief. Relief that I had not let my grumpiness get the better of me and instead, by the grace of God, had turned it into prayer.
It is amazing how God turns our mistakes into blessings.

6 comments :

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Here's another God-incidence: before reading your post today, I wrote about grumpy, stingy obedience in my reflection on chapter 7 of the Rule of St. Benedict! I am laughing right now. How many times has God shown us, when we've been grumpy about something, that there wasn't any need to be that way? I always feel sheepish about it because I should have known better.

I like that idea of singing (silently) to Jesus. The old song "You are my destiny" keeps coming through my mind and I always think of God when it does.

Colleen said...

Barb, that is quite a God-incidence! I always feel sheepish too when I get grumpy. I wonder how many people sing to Jesus silently at church! Thanks for joining me in this meme every week!

Kathleen Basi said...

I love God-incidence. He's always protecting me from my thoughtless double-scheduling, nudging me toward exactly what I needed to hear. It seems to happen more the older I get.

Colleen said...

Kathleen, me too. I wonder if we pay attention more. God is good.

Carol@simple_catholic said...

I love that you were singing "You are my sunshine" to the Lord. I'm sure it pleases Him when we adore and worship him with such humility and child-like simplicity. :)

Colleen said...

Carol, thank you. It was new for me but I loved it.