Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sabbath Moments - Holy Week

Sabbath moments are a way of taking time to rest in God, to enjoy God in silence or in nature. The word sabbath comes from a Hebrew word meaning "cease." And that is what we need to do sometimes, cease our activity and live in the moment and breathe in God.
I invite you to share your Sabbath moment(s) here on Saturdays. Be sure to sign into Mr. Linky below.
1. I came home from work late one night and saw one of my favorite sights - a sunset! It was gorgeous and really made my day. I cannot help but stop and say thank you to God when I see something so beautiful. Our Master Artist is so generous!
2. When I arrived at work one morning, I sat in my car for a few minutes, just to take a few minutes of quiet time and say good morning to God. I was entertained by a squirrel looking for food and climbing up and down a tree as fast as he could go. I am wondering how many times I missed this show because I was too busy to pay attention.
3. I visited the Blessed Sacrament a few times throughout the week. Such a beautiful way to rest with Jesus.
4. Lent is almost over and I am still struggling with my long to-do list. But I made a decision to cut out some things and to lower my own expectations. I am too hard on myself and expect too much and it is time to let go of some things. I have been getting this message all through Lent and it is time to pay attention. I need more moments to rest in God.
Next week is Holy Saturday so there will be no Sabbath Moments post. You will all be in my prayers and thoughts throughout Holy Week. Have a holy and blessed Easter!

7 comments :

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

When I read your Sabbath Moments, I had to giggle out loud...once again, we have VERY similar thoughts! Good for you in lowering your expectations on yourself...we need to do this sometimes to "simplify" and remind ourselves that God just wants our "love" not our "lists".
Thanks for calling my mind to that.

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I really liked the one about lowering expectations. As we age we just can't do as much as we did when we were younger. Whenever I start feeling pressured with too much, I ask myself, "Do I really need to do this? What's God's will for me?" Sometimes that's all I need to straighten myself out. I am struck by God's patience with us when we veer off track. He just gently nudges us until we get the point.

Colleen said...

Judy, "God wants our love, not our lists." Love that. Thank you!

Barb, yes! God is very patient with us! I like the questions you ask yourself. I think I need to ask the same ones. Thank you!

Holly@A Life-Size Catholic Blog said...

I love what you write at the end:"I need more moments to rest in God." Me too! Which is why I still have to write my Sabbath moment before I can post it. Thanks for including this on Pay It Forward. I hope everyone will contribute!

Colleen said...

Me too! Thanks for your meme and your comment. God bless!

cathmom2five said...

I find that when I take time like this too ( I love the term, "Sabbath Moments"!) that God is more willing to speak to my heart. (Or maybe I am just more able to listen).

Colleen said...

cathmom2five, thanks for visiting and making a comment! I got that term from Terry Hershey who sends out a newsletter with that term. He gave me permission to use it. I love it too! And I think we are more willing to listen when we take that time. God patiently waits. God bless!