Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Mystery


"On the first day of the week,a Mary of Magdala came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark, and saw the stone removed from the tomb." - John 20:1
Easter Vigil.
The church is dark.
Then the Paschal candle is slowly carried down the aisle. As congregational candles are lit from the paschal candle, more and more light moves through the church.
The light of Christ has come into the world.
I became a Catholic over 20 years ago at the Easter Vigil. The Light of Christ came into my heart and my life was changed forever. I experienced a resurrection of sorts. New life.
I am not sure what it all means. It is a mystery. A joyful mystery.
"Easter is a feast of following love into mystery." (John Shea, Following Love into Mystery)

Easter Morning.
Mary Magdalene finds the empty tomb. It is the first day of the week. It is still dark. She does not know the good news yet. She does not understand what it means to find an empty tomb.
She runs to tell the apostles. Peter and the beloved disciple go to the tomb to check it out.
Empty.
The beloved disciple believes but we are not sure what understanding he has because the gospel then goes on to say they did not understand that he had to rise from the dead.
John Shea suggests that Easter is still a mystery to us. We still are in the dark in some way. We believe Jesus is risen. We believe that we will someday be with him in heaven.
But what does it all mean?
We don't know, but we are in the mystery. A joyful mystery.
Following Love where it leads us.

Jesus Christ is risen! Alleluia!
Happy Easter!

7 comments :

Karinann said...

Happy Easter, Colleen. Easter truly is a mystery, but I think God reveals a little more for each of us in whatever way He sees fit for us. The whole veil will be torn away in heaven. I'm glad He doesn't show us everything now :)
Thanks for sharing this reflection~yours and John Shea's.
Easter hugs & blessings!

Jean Wise said...

Have a blessed Easter, Colleen. May you always dwell in God's light

Sue Elvis said...

Happy Easter, Colleen!

I wasn't received into the Church at the Easter Vigil but instead at a quiet Saturday morning Mass. I wasn't sure I could cope with little ones at the long Vigil when I couldn't disappear out of the back of the church if one of them became distressed. But I often think how beautiful it would have been to have become a Catholic on that most special night of the year. I imagine you revisit your conversion every Easter and it must be a time of great thanksgiving.

God bless you and your family.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Happy Peaceful and Blessed Easter to you and your family.

God bless.

Colleen said...

Karinann, I agree. I am glad that He does not show us everything now. That verse - "No eye has seen, nor ear has heard what God has prepared for those who love him." Happy Easter!

Jean, thank you! Happy Easter to you too!

Sue, yes, it really is a time of great Thanksgiving for me. I imagine it is for you, too. No matter when or how, our entrance into the Church is such a day to remember. God bless and happy Easter!

Victor, thank you! Happy Easter to you too!

Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website said...

I read, recently, that the reason beauty is beautiful to us is that it is a "mystery" and part of the "infinite God" who created all things beautiful. I thought I'd share that with you here for I think it is pertinent to your wonderful post. The author wrote that we can never "understand" the mystery of beauty...only "get to know it". Much like God, eh?

Colleen said...

Judy, thank you so much for sharing this! I love that - we can only get to know the mystery of beauty. Yes, very much like God!
I was puzzled as to why I wrote about Easter in this way but it stuck with me. Your words here help me see the meaning even more. Happy Easter!